CAR Used S2000?

exxoizzle

Free mustache rides
May 28, 2005
ATL and Ft.Lauderdale
Hey guys, Ive always wanted to own a Honda S2000(since I was like 15) and with around 8k saved up I started looking for used ones. I have a few questions
what year would give me the best bang for my buck?
And how reliable are used s2k's?

edit: probably going to have to buy a 03/02 model it seems per prices(just doing a few quick checks)
would a 70k mile S2k be reliable?

HorseDick

Oct 1, 2005
FL
Go with an 02-03. You can find lists of differences over the years over on S2ki, but the best models on a budget are 02-03 IMO.

There's really not much on these cars that stands out in terms of mechanical faults, aside from timing chain tensioner issues (this will be obvious as it makes a horrible sound) and typical rear end / transmission stuff. Notchy is normal, but if the tranny doesn't go in gear consistently, you may be either looking at faulty syncros or just bad fluid (most likely the latter).

Check the obvious stuff...clutch wear, compression, drive in figure 8s in a parking lot and make sure the rear doesn't whine, get it up to speed and run it through the gears, engage VTEC a few times, etc.

They're solid cars when maintained properly and there's no reason why a 70k mile S2K wouldn't serve you well, assuming it wasn't dogged on all its life.

TS
TS
exxoizzle

exxoizzle

Free mustache rides
May 28, 2005
ATL and Ft.Lauderdale
Go with an 02-03. You can find lists of differences over the years over on S2ki, but the best models on a budget are 02-03 IMO.

There's really not much on these cars that stands out in terms of mechanical faults, aside from timing chain tensioner issues (this will be obvious as it makes a horrible sound) and typical rear end / transmission stuff. Notchy is normal, but if the tranny doesn't go in gear consistently, you may be either looking at faulty syncros or just bad fluid (most likely the latter).

Check the obvious stuff...clutch wear, compression, drive in figure 8s in a parking lot and make sure the rear doesn't whine, get it up to speed and run it through the gears, engage VTEC a few times, etc.

They're solid cars when maintained properly and there's no reason why a 70k mile S2K wouldn't serve you well, assuming it wasn't dogged on all its life.

Oh damn, this answered like everything!
thanks so much. :cool:

BATMANs

Oct 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
It's a Honda, like my NSX, there's really nothing that breaks or should break.

Just be on top of ur routine fluid flush with quality oil like Torco, Amsoil, Pennzoil Ultra, hose and belt changes.

HorseDick

Oct 1, 2005
FL
Easy as hell. Did mine last weekend in about 20 minutes on jackstands. All you need is a socket (17mm I think, don't remember - once again there is a writeup on S2ki), 3/8 ratchet, and any fluid pump which I got from Advance auto for like $12. Takes just under 2 quarts. I recommend using Honda MTF and changing it every 10k miles.

craig.678

Jun 8, 2007
Easy as hell. Did mine last weekend in about 20 minutes on jackstands. All you need is a socket (17mm I think, don't remember - once again there is a writeup on S2ki), 3/8 ratchet, and any fluid pump which I got from Advance auto for like $12. Takes just under 2 quarts. I recommend using Honda MTF and changing it every 10k miles.

thanks, would get to this when i can, mine is at 80k dont know when it was last changed

Keiphus

my dog eats bears
Feb 22, 2005
picked up an 06 last year. have loved _almost_ every minute of it. rain kinda sucks if its your daily. but it rarely rains here.

has been mostly solid. went through a set of tires already though.

Keiphus

my dog eats bears
Feb 22, 2005
btw, haven't driven an ap1 or the early ap2 (before traction control) but i would say be careful :mamoru: easy to swing the end out, especially on cold tires. fun to drive though.

JDM RICE

Off-Topic OG Lurker
Oct 16, 2001
at work
be prepared to replace your rear tires every 10-12k miles. about double that mileage for the fronts. They get to be expensive if you drive as much as I do, about 20k a year. Other than that, its been super low maintenance.

Funnest "stock" car I've ever owned. I hope i get to keep it forever, but I see kids in my future :ugh2:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan