ART various light modifiers comparison pics

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf
The following is a combination of too much time on my hands and boredom.

I've always wanted to see how my different light modifiers compare to each other, specifically my speedlight modifiers. I didn't bother to test my studio lights and their modifiers because I pretty much know what the results look like. However, when using speedlights, I tend to vary between using an umbrella, small Photoflex softbox, homemade beauty dish and bare flash. This is a comparison of those modifiers, all using a Sunpack 383 as the light source.

But just to make things interesting, I threw in a video light to compare with the above.

All of the pics are straight out of my 5D and only resized and sharpened for web. I tried to keep the exposures about the same, but since different modifiers eat up different amounts of light, the exposures may vary a little. WB was set to auto.

This first series has the lights placed about 14' from the subject.

Bare flash

bareflash.jpg

homemade beauty dish with a 16" diameter

beautydish.jpg

photoflex 15"x18" softbox

softbox.jpg

white umbrella in shoot thru mode

shootthru.jpg

same umbrella reversed

umbrella.jpg

video light

videolight.jpg

Now here's where the real results come in. I moved the light to approximately 3' away and repeated the shots. I didn't bother to reshoot the bare strobe shot as I would rarely use it that close and un-modified.

Beauty dish from 3' away

beautydishCU.jpg

Photoflex softbox from 3' away

softboxCU.jpg

Shoot thru umbrella from 3' away

shootthruCU.jpg

umbrella reversed from 3' away

umbrellaCU.jpg

video light from 3' away

videolightCU.jpg

I also thought it would be interesting to see the light pattern so I set the light up about 3' from my back drop and underexposed the light a few f/stops.

beauty dish. Note the center "dead" spot

BD.jpg

softbox

softboxlight.jpg

umbrella. I forgot to take a pic of it in shoot thru mode.

umbrellalight.jpg

video light

videolightpattern.jpg

The differences are subtle but each modifier has it's own unique "look". The farther away you place the lights from the subject, the less difference you see.

Last edited:

BUCE

what the fuck is the internet?
Dec 17, 2007
:bowdown: Awesome comparison, I'm looking into different lighting options and this helps. Thanks

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
I'm picking up that same softbox soon, I think it will be sufficient if I keep it close and maybe pick up a reflector so the other side of the face isn't so dark

softboxCU.jpg

TS
TS
Jcolman

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf
I'm picking up that same softbox soon, I think it will be sufficient if I keep it close and maybe pick up a reflector so the other side of the face isn't so dark

It's a great little softbox. I shot these with no other light just so you could see how the light falls off on the shadow side. Using a reflector or bounce card to help fill the shadow side is standard procedure.

This softbox works best (imo) outdoors to provide some fill light.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan