VBGOD passed away

TankRizzo

The People's Moderator
Super Moderator
Jun 1, 2001
He was diagnosed as an adult iirc. Surprising he had complications already. :(

In my experience with diabetes, especially Type 1, it largely comes down to how well the person manages their blood sugar, not just on a daily basis but overall, with the goal of limiting swings as much as possible.

I'd imagine being diagnosed as an adult is probably harder to manage. From what I've gathered talking to people the education they give adults isn't nearly as comprehensive as what they give the parents of children and that's kind of sad. It's a huge lifestyle change and that's probably the one good thing (if there is such a thing) about getting it younger. My son has had it since he was 2, it's just his life. If you get it as an adult, it's probably hard as fuck to cope with. You have to count every carb you eat or drink, check your blood sugar 4+ times a day and do the math and correct if needed and give yourself insulin for every carb you consume. You eventually get decent at eyeballing food from a restaurant and guessing how many carbs are on your plate...it can be daunting sometimes.

But it sounds like Herb had things well under control, or at least was very proactive....but all it takes is one time. They say it's more of an art than a science and that couldn't be more true. There are a million different variables, did you eat complex or simple carbs? Did you exercise? What time of day it is also affects how your body takes to insulin. Some days, shit is just out of whack, same thing you did every day of the week the previous week, but for 3 days this week you just go low.

El Chapa

Office Manager
OT Supporter
Jul 9, 2004
fucking hell :sad2:

my family has a history of diabetes, one thing I always worry about.

RIP Herb.

Sean6293

OT Supporter
Jan 11, 2006
Newburgh, NY
i'm late to the thread, but VBGOD was like my original OT hero back in the day. I read all of his posts from '01 thoug like '06 when he stopped posting. dude was a cool spirit and this is one of the few passing notices on OT that makes me think twice....

RIP VB GOD......

about:blank

Apr 5, 2001
He had a red '99 Cobra right?

We used to talk about Mustangs and shit back when OT was pretty much a car forum.

Good times :hs:
Pretty sure he had a 2001. I remember him posting about it, they were recalled because they weren't making advertised power.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec