ART Vegas>Grand Canyon>Zion>Bryce Road Trip

ericande

Feb 9, 2007
My wife and I are trying to see all the National Parks and took a little trip to see 3 more last week. The trip was a blast but we were hiking 10 miles a day or so which kinda zapped my energy for taking photos. Still happy with some of them but the biggest disappointment was that it was a new moon so I couldn't do some of the night shots I had hoped for at the Grand Canyon.

1) Grand Canyon - I was surprised that there is such a defined edge to the canyon. You drive along a completely flat road and then boom, it's just there.
DSC927789-L.jpg

2) We started hiking Bright Angel trail which was great because after just 100' you leave the fat tourists behind and it feels much more serene.
DSC9313-L.jpg

3) This is 3-mile rest stop. In the distance you can see where the trail continues on the plateau past Indian Garden and it eventually will reach Phantom Ranch which sounds like an awesome place to spend a night or two.
DSC9404-L.jpg

4) Since the canyon is so deep you can't usually see much of the Colorado below but we got a glimpse of it here.
DSC946123-Edit-L.jpg

5) From GC we drove to Zion which is amazing. This was from a short hike that ended at an amazing viewpoint on a cliff a few hundred feet above the valley.
DSC9534-L.jpg

6) We did a hike called Angel's Landing which may be the coolest hike I've done. It starts out somewhat steep but on a smooth trail.
DSC9585-L.jpg

7) But the last 1/2 mile is more like this. Not a great hike if you're scared of heights.
DSC9609-L.jpg

8) The top is the peak in front of us up a narrow ridge.
DSC9613-L.jpg

9) There are chains to hold on to if you need it where the dropoffs are.
DSC9616-L.jpg

10) It's about 1300' down from here
DSC9672-L.jpg

11) The setting for Zion Lodge is unbelievable
DSC9699-L.jpg

12) The next hike was The Narrows, the majority of the hike is actually through the river.
DSC9716-L.jpg

13) Crappy photo but I wanted to show how deep it got
DSC9736-XL.jpg

14) Still in The Narrows
DSC9779-L.jpg

15) Last hike in Zion up to Emerald Pools
DSC9835-L.jpg

16) Upper Emerald Pool. During the fall and winter these stay full from aquifers that leach out of the cliffs above.
DSC9842-L.jpg

17) Bryce Canyon is a bizarre looking place. Famous for it's towering hoodoos that Native Americans thought that a coyote took the souls of evil people and trapped them for eternity here when they died.
DSC9944-2-L.jpg

18) Hiking through the narrow canyons between the hoodoos
DSC9901-L.jpg

19) Sunset
DSC9969-2-L.jpg

20) Sunrise
DSC0035-2-L.jpg

14 National Parks down, 44 to go.

Last edited:
TS
TS

ericande

Feb 9, 2007
That first photo was all you needed to post. :eek3:

I haven't been down to Zion in 10 years, and this thread makes me want to go down for a few days. Awesome Pictures!

1st sex is pic!

I mean, yeah.

Thanks guys

first photo is awesome, but pelfed

It was more distorted than pelfed but fixed

whoa

Can you please give some info for someone who will be going there for first time?

Sure, which place?

Awesome! Just went down to Zion/Bryce in April! So gorgeous!

Did you get any snow in Bryce? Bryce looks like it would be fun in winter

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Wow, great pics! :bigthumb:

The walk looks a lot of fun! Went I went to Grand Canyon we did the lazy thing.. coach, helicopter, boat etc :hs:

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Oh, and btw the reason grand canyon is so famous.. it's for those steep edges!

It's not the biggest, deepest or longest, but it IS one of the most dramatic. I just got back from Peru where the Colca Canyon is far larger and far deeper, but the edges slope down gradually. The grand canyon has those sudden drops and edges which make it looks visually incredible :cool:

gtcrispy

Jul 28, 2002
WA
#1 is amazing and the rest are great too. #1 made me want to revisit some of my pics from a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448