TECH VPS hosting: Verio or Hostgator?

Falconer

Jun 23, 2006
A client is paying $90/mo for Verio hosting.

"Enhanced Plan"
http://www.verio.com/web-hosting/linux-vps/

It looks like you could get the same for less at Hostgator:

http://www.hostgator.com/vps-hosting/

Plus IME Hostgator has better customer service (I waited for 10 minutes with no response at Verio; Hostgator helped me in like 15 seconds).

I have no personal experience with VPS so I defer to TWL's expertise.

Should I have him change over to Hostgator?

Pepsi1975

Mod of the Year
Jan 6, 2005
Detroit
I have set up a vps account with hostgator for a client and liked it

I have been a customer of hostgator for over 3 years and love their customer support

so out of your 2 choices, hostgator wins

TS
TS
Falconer

Falconer

Jun 23, 2006
Yeah I don't know anything about VPS but I know I like Hostgator.

(except for how they structure domains 2 through n that you host, wtf, that's seriously annoying as fuck to the extent that if I had known they did it that way I probably wouldn't have gone with them in the first place... but other than that, I've had no problems with them at all)

TS
TS
Falconer

Falconer

Jun 23, 2006
What you talking about? every host I have used has been the same way

Every host makes all future domains subdomains of the first one you hosted with them?

I host domain1.com with Hostgator. everything is fine. A month later I buy another domain, domain2.com, and host it with Hostgator. Hostgator treats www.domain2.com as domain2.domain1.com.

A few months later I buy another domain, domain3.com. Hostgator treats this domain as domain3.domain1.com.

What does this mean?

1) it means the folders for all my other domains (domain2.com through domainn.com) are stored as subfolders within the folder for domain1.com, which means if I ever get rid of domain1, it's going to be a pain in the butt to handle the rest of my domains at Hostgator since their root folder no longer exists.

2) it means when I'm choosing which folder I want to view in Hostgators menu, instead of having a nice, concise list, like this:

domain1.com
domain2.com
domain3.com
domain4.com
domain5.com

it means instead I have a list that is twice as long as it needs to be that looks like this:

domain1.com
domain2.domain1.com
domain2.com
domain3.domain1.com
domain3.com
domain4.domain1.com
domain4.com
domain5.domain1.com
domain5.com

It's annoying as fuck if you have a lot of domains because you have to scroll through a list that is much longer than it needs to be.

Why does it list each domain twice???

I don't understand why they do this. Why not just make an empty root folder with separate subfolders for each of your domains, rather than treating each new domain as a subdomain of the original domain?

Last edited:
TS
TS
Falconer

Falconer

Jun 23, 2006
Here's an example, when I choose which domain's folder I want to open, rather than just listing:

domain1
domain2
domain3
etc.

It lists the the way I mentioned above, because it treats all of my domains as subdomains of the first domain I ever hosted there:

(domain names blurred because some OTers practice questionable fellowship)

See how every other line is long? It's because everyone other line is domainn.domain1.com. I put a list to the right of it to illustrate.

domain_list.jpg

Why on earth are entirely unrelated domains being treated as subdomains?

What happens if I ever sell domain1? Are all my other domains going to go along with it since apparently, they are its subdomains?

TS
TS
Falconer

Falconer

Jun 23, 2006
Can I undo the ones I've already done?

I think I did addon domains because that's how their customer support guy walked me through it years ago when I added all those.

Pepsi1975

Mod of the Year
Jan 6, 2005
Detroit
Here's an example, when I choose which domain's folder I want to open, rather than just listing:

domain1
domain2
domain3
etc.

It lists the the way I mentioned above, because it treats all of my domains as subdomains of the first domain I ever hosted there:

(domain names blurred because some OTers practice questionable fellowship)

See how every other line is long? It's because everyone other line is domainn.domain1.com. I put a list to the right of it to illustrate.

domain_list.jpg

Why on earth are entirely unrelated domains being treated as subdomains?

What happens if I ever sell domain1? Are all my other domains going to go along with it since apparently, they are its subdomains?
I never use their file nmanager system, I always ftp in and see individual folders for each site

TS
TS
Falconer

Falconer

Jun 23, 2006
I see individual folders, too, but they're still subfolders of the original domain I had with them.

That means if I back out to the root directory, I see all the files for my first website, along with folders for subsequent websites.

I don't like it.

hg

Jul 23, 2011
Yeah I don't know anything about VPS but I know I like Hostgator.

(except for how they structure domains 2 through n that you host, wtf, that's seriously annoying as fuck to the extent that if I had known they did it that way I probably wouldn't have gone with them in the first place... but other than that, I've had no problems with them at all)

namecheap.com for domain
hostgator.com for hosting
winning combo

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan