SPORTS Waitasecond. GSP is gonna put on a striking clinic.

ZSPTurbo

Dec 18, 2008
A) Shields striking is mediocre for the championship tier. GSP's was good BEFORE he became a wrestling monster.

B) Shields takedowns, while strong, are slow and unexplosive. GSP is a bouncy, dynamic, almost olympic level freestyle wrestler. Even if he is in a disadvantageous position when he realizes Shields is going for the takedown, he will most likely be able to escape in time to stake vertical.

3) GSP has been chatting up his BJJ a lot recently. I think he wants to keep Shields aware of the fact that he's dangerous off of his back, too, and therefore it may not be worth it to take the risks to continuously pressure to take it down.

Finally) GSP has been criticized heavily for not finishing, being boring, etc. I think that despite his sports psychologists and perfect shiny exterior, that bothers him.

Conclusion: GSP is going to come out doing his best Jose Aldo impersonation.

Zoolander

OT Supporter
Jan 10, 2005
Michigan
I listened to two friends argue about the fight. One was calling for a TKO early round two for Shields, the other for a first round sub win for GSP.

"Theres no way this fight goes 5 rounds" was the final conclusion.

phonics

No good sir, I'm on the level.
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2004
I'm guessing it'll look a lot like GSP/Koscheck II

I'm sure shields will have planned to try and avoid sitting at the end of GSPs jab for 5 rnds - but without being able to take him down or remarkably improving his striking this camp, what can he do?

If he had some powerful kicks id be more inclined to give him a chance. Atleast then he could land from the outside and gsp might have to take him down where he might have a better chance than standing with gsp.

checkii

ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว
Jun 29, 2003
rain street
I'm guessing it'll look a lot like GSP/Koscheck II

I'm sure shields will have planned to try and avoid sitting at the end of GSPs jab for 5 rnds - but without being able to take him down or remarkably improving his striking this camp, what can he do?

If he had some powerful kicks id be more inclined to give him a chance. Atleast then he could land from the outside and gsp might have to take him down where he might have a better chance than standing with gsp.

look at Shield's fights. dude has zero stand up (was getting lit up by Lawler and was not doing well with hendo, etc) and has some awesome sweeps. I really dont expect to see GSP take him down much at all. Also, GSP has MUCH more than just a jab, he closes distance with passive strikers better than just about anyone.

i think the person who said GSP vs Hughes II is right on the money.

edward_cullen

Unemployed Since 08
Jun 30, 2009
Hollywood, CA
It's going to be an all out slug-fest.

martin-kampmann-jake-shields-1.jpg

kit99bar

USPA Class 1, weak, old man!
Jul 18, 2001
GSP will get his first KO victory in a long time in the 3rd or 4th after Shields gases out

Zoolander

OT Supporter
Jan 10, 2005
Michigan
Just got this text..
Him: Hey did GSP win?
Me: I'll tell you in 4 days
Him: Ok cool, i'll put $5 on the other guy if you want some of that action?

I havent responded $5 is a lot to lose.

canning

Super Moderator
Oct 31, 2001
My best guess is that GSP tries to keep it standing early in the rounds via his jabs and stuffs takedowns and then shoots late in the rounds for GNP.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448