ENT Walt Disney restructures entertainment businesses to boost streaming

SBrooks1

@ComicConScott
OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
This is HUGE. You're going to see more and more Disney movies premiering on Disney+ either for a premium price like Mulan or in theaters AND on Disney+ on the same day. Disney can't hold onto movies like Black Widow forever. Especially considering theaters probably won't be back to normal in May 2021 anyway.

---

Walt Disney Co. announced a major reorganization meant to give priority to its streaming-video services and ensure they get a steady flow of the company’s best content, in a shift echoing similar moves by other entertainment giants.

Under the new structure, Disney is creating content groups for movies, general entertainment and sports. It is also forming a distribution arm to determine the best platform for any given content, whether that is a streaming service, a TV network or movie theaters.

The new alignment pushes Disney’s streaming platforms, including Disney+ and Hulu, even closer to the center of the company. The various programming arms, including movie and television studios, will be aiming to feed those streaming services, not just legacy outlets.

Disney Chief Executive Bob Chapek said the moves are a recognition of how consumers are changing their consumption habits, favoring streaming platforms over movie theaters and traditional broadcast and cable channels.

“There is a seismic shift happening in the marketplace, and you can either lead or follow and we chose to lead,” Mr. Chapek said of the company’s push into streaming, adding that the focus is now on “what platform is best to meet those consumer needs.”

Reactions: stevezissou

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
DIS stock crew is in bb

TANhHJ3.gif

z284pwr

Jun 16, 2002
Fruit Heights, Utah
I have no problem with the “premium” price part if they will actually offer these in proper nitrate 4K and Atmos/DTS-X audio. I don’t want their shit ass Dolby Digital audio.

Reactions: CrazyMook

Helios

Apr 14, 2006
Nyc <> Amsterdam <> SE MI
Don’t really give a shit tbh. The only thing Disney owned I’m interested in is Marvel which I’ll always see in theaters first if the option is available.

honestly I’m not sure who this truly benefits outside parents with great entertainment centers who don’t wanna throw down $40-50 on tickets.

cbpage

Lord and Savior
OT Supporter
May 19, 2009
L I N K B O Y Z VIP Club
Would pay $20-30 to stream Black Widow and other movies I'm interested in. But if they're going to require a Disney+ subscription first, then I'll just pirate it instead.

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
BFE NY
when they can stream me non shit quality i may bite. until then my BR disks still look and sound better then 4k streams

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan