2TB isn't enough.

Code:
plexbox:~ plex$ df -h
Filesystem      Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2   298Gi  289Gi  8.7Gi    98%    /
devfs          117Ki  117Ki    0Bi   100%    /dev
map -hosts       0Bi    0Bi    0Bi   100%    /net
map auto_home    0Bi    0Bi    0Bi   100%    /home
/dev/disk1s3   1.8Ti  1.0Ti  850Gi    55%    /Volumes/Storage 5 (2TB)
/dev/disk5s2   931Gi  707Gi  224Gi    76%    /Volumes/Storage 2 (1TB)
/dev/disk3s2   931Gi  749Gi  182Gi    81%    /Volumes/Storage 3 (1TB)
/dev/disk4s1   932Gi  567Gi  365Gi    61%    /Volumes/Storage 4 (1TB)
/dev/disk2s2   931Gi  931Gi  608Mi   100%    /Volumes/Storage 1 (1TB)

Next stop is building a ZFS storage array with 8x2TB drives.

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
I think what they're saying is you should build two slim PCs, one with tons of storage and sits in your closet, and the other with just enough storage to boot-up and sits on your TV stand.

Have you considered using MythBuntu instead of Windows 7? I'm not recommending it per se, I'm just curious if you've weighed it as an option yet.

Last edited:

CyberBullets

I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c
Nov 13, 2001
BC, Canada/Stockholm, Sweden
I think what they're saying is you should build two slim PCs, one with tons of storage and sits in your closet, and the other with just enough storage to boot-up and sits on your TV stand.

Have you considered using MythBuntu instead of Windows 7? I'm not recommending it per se, I'm just curious if you've weighed it as an option yet.

I used a MacMini for my HTPC cause I love the Plex App HTPC software.

Then you can mount a remote disc as iSCSI that is it's own ZFS file system.

StevesVR4

Get Arrested
Jul 1, 2003
Can you even buy the ATI Digital Cable Tuner anymore? Have you looked into the Ceton InfiniTV 4? It is a quad-tuner CableCard tuner card allowing you to record the encrypted digital channels. The ATI Digital Cable Tuner is only a single tuner.

TS
TS
MouSe-05

MouSe-05

Nov 28, 2009
The Burbs of Atlanta
Can you even buy the ATI Digital Cable Tuner anymore? Have you looked into the Ceton InfiniTV 4? It is a quad-tuner CableCard tuner card allowing you to record the encrypted digital channels. The ATI Digital Cable Tuner is only a single tuner.
Yes, they're available all day on eBay for reasonable prices. I looked at the InfiniTV 4, but $400 is outrageous for a tuner card, even if it is 4 tuners. I'd still have to rent 4 cable cards to make it work. The only thing I'm wondering is if I'll be able to record one show and watch another like my STB does with the setup I'm using. If not, then I might look into trying to find a cheaper InfiniTV 4.

HTPC works well as a normal DVR setup with some extra perks, and it works better as a DVR than any STB bullshit you'd get from your service provider, but the CableCard tuners are only one-way, so VOD does not work. In the end, you probably want to keep a STB from your cable company lying around so you can make use of VOD as needed.
I never used my VOD services before I left country to come over here. The only reason I had "digital cable" was so I could get HD. Not gonna give a shit about losing that capability.

Trogdor151

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2009
Midwest Nothingness
Yes, they're available all day on eBay for reasonable prices. I looked at the InfiniTV 4, but $400 is outrageous for a tuner card, even if it is 4 tuners. I'd still have to rent 4 cable cards to make it work. The only thing I'm wondering is if I'll be able to record one show and watch another like my STB does with the setup I'm using. If not, then I might look into trying to find a cheaper InfiniTV 4.

I am currently using the InfiniTV 4 tuner card. The price was a little out there and you also have a 30-90 day wait when you place the order until you get the card. All i needed was 1 cable card not 4. You would just have to make sure that your cable provider has the ability to give out a M-Card or multi-stream card to support the 4 tuners. With this model I am able to record 4 shows and watch a 5th without an issue.

Last edited:

Trogdor151

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2009
Midwest Nothingness
So then you would recommend ordering from Ceton and not going through eBay to save some cash?
I guess that is up to you. I felt a little easier about it getting it straight from the manufacturer. They will be better about supporting any issues that you may have. One thing to be on the look out is when you order it, you will be placed on a list that has a wait of 30 to 90 days like i had mentioned before, but they will not charge you till they ship the card.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor