We buried my dad yesterday. Let me introduce you to him.....

TS
TS
Stylerod

Stylerod

150mph in a swimsuit :eek3:
Dec 23, 2001
150MPH in a Swimsuit :eek3:!
So so sorry for your loss. I really feel your pain and I know posting this can't have been easy. I lost my father 2 months ago - he was also in the air force - and haven't been able to make a thread like this yet - it still hurts to think about and I feel if I don't do it properly I'm not doing him justice.

Stay strong and be there as much as possible for your mum. Looks like you're on the right track - remember the great moments and good times and legendary things he has done. It doesn't take the pain away but it makes it easier to face.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I seem to be doing ok. I think the only time I broke down completely was when I was bringing his clothes to the funeral home and I had his hat in the front seat with me. The plan was to bury him with the hat. But man I cried the whole way there and was not able to give them the hat. I called Diana to ask if it was ok for me to keep it and she said of course it was. That killed me for some reason.

I cried pretty hard when I told my oldest son. But for some reason it's people's amazing acts of kindness that have made me tear up more than anything else. We will have a bunch of people at the house and I think once it quiets down it will hit me harder. :hs:

contactone

Thanks for the kind words.

He worked for Rexam Medical Packaging. Before that they were Baxter and before that they were called Tower.

Because my wife and I moved so far away from home it seemed all our vacations were always going back to visit family. So our families were always together while we had cookouts or picnics or whatever. My mom moved to the U.P. and my grandparents were coming to visit from Germany. They wanted to be able to see both my dad and my wife's mom while they were there. So we arranged for my dad to drive my wife's mom since it's a good 6 hour drive or so. Well, those 12 hours back and forth in the car a spark got lit. A few months later my dad called my wife asking her if it was ok to start dating her mom. After some time they ended up getting married. It was actually pretty fantastic.:)
:bigthumb:

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf
Sorry for your loss. Love the pics and story! Your dad was a cool bad ass for sure! Hope you learned to speak German and Russian.

nindia

OT Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
earth
Thanks man. He was 75.

He lived a long and what looks from here to be a fulfilled life. It's never easy saying goodbye but I hope knowing that he was a happy man makes it easier for you.

Again I'm sorry for your loss. All the best :hug:

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
Thanks for the kind words.

He worked for Rexam Medical Packaging. Before that they were Baxter and before that they were called Tower.

Because my wife and I moved so far away from home it seemed all our vacations were always going back to visit family. So our families were always together while we had cookouts or picnics or whatever. My mom moved to the U.P. and my grandparents were coming to visit from Germany. They wanted to be able to see both my dad and my wife's mom while they were there. So we arranged for my dad to drive my wife's mom since it's a good 6 hour drive or so. Well, those 12 hours back and forth in the car a spark got lit. A few months later my dad called my wife asking her if it was ok to start dating her mom. After some time they ended up getting married. It was actually pretty fantastic.:)

youre married to your sister?:eek3:

Oman4x4

OT Supporter
Sep 22, 2004
Dubai / Oman / Saudi Arabia
Sorry to hear about your loss. I seem to be doing ok. I think the only time I broke down completely was when I was bringing his clothes to the funeral home and I had his hat in the front seat with me. The plan was to bury him with the hat. But man I cried the whole way there and was not able to give them the hat. I called Diana to ask if it was ok for me to keep it and she said of course it was. That killed me for some reason.

I cried pretty hard when I told my oldest son. But for some reason it's people's amazing acts of kindness that have made me tear up more than anything else. We will have a bunch of people at the house and I think once it quiets down it will hit me harder. :hs:

We went through very similar things. Planning to scatter dad's ashes in the the clouds so we had one of his flying suits to send him away for his last flight. Couldn't part with his badges and so on that would normally be on the suit though.

I kept a ton of my dad's stuff. His uniforms etc of course, and then bought his bike and car from mum. I know keeping it all won't bring him back... but I can't part with it either.

I find it's the little things that get you. The big things you brace yourself for.

When loading his harley up on the trailer it wasn't so bad - I had a task to focus on. It's when we fire up the truck to pull out of the driveway and it starts playing Alan Jackson's When Daddy let me Drive on shuffle - that gets you.

Then when helping mum pack up the old house... and the oven gets sold... and mum says "well that's cold food for me until I leave now" and I look around at the rest of the kitchen appliances to see what could be rustled up - and there's dad's coffee machine... that gets you.

Could list examples for days. It's the little things that trip you up and the tears start. :wtc:

The little things will continue to trip all of you up at different times though. Hopefully your family finds a way to make you snap out of it and smile and you can do the same for them. But at the same time a long hard crying session is healthy.

And any time you're overcome with the pain and sadness - you just have to think how lucky he was to be missed. How lucky you were to have a father you miss. Some people go through life not knowing their father, or worse, wishing they didn't. If it hurts, it means you all did something right.

TS
TS
Stylerod

Stylerod

150mph in a swimsuit :eek3:
Dec 23, 2001
150MPH in a Swimsuit :eek3:!
We went through very similar things. Planning to scatter dad's ashes in the the clouds so we had one of his flying suits to send him away for his last flight. Couldn't part with his badges and so on that would normally be on the suit though.

I kept a ton of my dad's stuff. His uniforms etc of course, and then bought his bike and car from mum. I know keeping it all won't bring him back... but I can't part with it either.

I find it's the little things that get you. The big things you brace yourself for.

When loading his harley up on the trailer it wasn't so bad - I had a task to focus on. It's when we fire up the truck to pull out of the driveway and it starts playing Alan Jackson's When Daddy let me Drive on shuffle - that gets you.

Then when helping mum pack up the old house... and the oven gets sold... and mum says "well that's cold food for me until I leave now" and I look around at the rest of the kitchen appliances to see what could be rustled up - and there's dad's coffee machine... that gets you.

Could list examples for days. It's the little things that trip you up and the tears start. :wtc:

The little things will continue to trip all of you up at different times though. Hopefully your family finds a way to make you snap out of it and smile and you can do the same for them. But at the same time a long hard crying session is healthy.

And any time you're overcome with the pain and sadness - you just have to think how lucky he was to be missed. How lucky you were to have a father you miss. Some people go through life not knowing their father, or worse, wishing they didn't. If it hurts, it means you all did something right.

What kind of pilot was he?

I actually had all these pictures on my computer because we wanted to make a video to show before his funeral ceremony, so it wasn't difficult to make this thread.

Scrolling through my recently called list and seeing my dads number fucked me earlier today. I'm going back to work tomorrow, mostly just to get back in the swing of things. My boss said to take the whole week off but I am ready.

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
So so sorry for your loss. I really feel your pain and I know posting this can't have been easy. I lost my father 2 months ago - he was also in the air force - and haven't been able to make a thread like this yet - it still hurts to think about and I feel if I don't do it properly I'm not doing him justice.

Stay strong and be there as much as possible for your mum. Looks like you're on the right track - remember the great moments and good times and legendary things he has done. It doesn't take the pain away but it makes it easier to face.

:hug:

Your thread would be beautiful. Your FB posts were so touching and had me in tears at times.

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
Damn, someone is cutting a fuck ton of onions in here...

Lost my Dad 9 months ago.

Thanks for sharing your memories!

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448