We buried my dad yesterday. Let me introduce you to him.....

Oman4x4

OT Supporter
Sep 22, 2004
Dubai / Oman / Saudi Arabia
:hug:

Your thread would be beautiful. Your FB posts were so touching and had me in tears at times.

Thanks. :hug:

I'll make sure to do it soon. There's still so much work going on though. Between the memorial service and then repatriation of his body, and the funeral, and moving mum and the dog and her furniture back to England and sorting the house out there's just an endless list of tasks.

Was able to help her out on the Middle Eastern side a lot and then handed over to my sisters to help her out in the UK. Had work meetings in the UK and added a weekend to go surprise her - didn't tell her I was coming. Was pretty cool.

So hard going back home next week though. She's got a good support group here - I'm just worried about her on days when the fuss starts to calm down and she's alone for longer... so far though she's had an incredible effort from old friends from up and down the country coming to stay and keep her company.

When I'm back in Dubai and can put it all together, I'll make the thread. :)

Oman4x4

OT Supporter
Sep 22, 2004
What kind of pilot was he?

I actually had all these pictures on my computer because we wanted to make a video to show before his funeral ceremony, so it wasn't difficult to make this thread.

Scrolling through my recently called list and seeing my dads number fucked me earlier today. I'm going back to work tomorrow, mostly just to get back in the swing of things. My boss said to take the whole week off but I am ready.

He was very lucky - he got to fly lots of cool stuff in his time.

On top of various training planes his main claims to fame is with the original English Electric Lightning, then moved on to the Tornado F3 fighter, and was very lucky to be trusted with the ONLY airworthy Lancaster Bomber at the time - flying the Lancaster for the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at shows. At the time the Canadian one was damaged.

I'm actually heading out tomorrow to visit a company that restores the aircraft for static displays etc - I bought a Tornado turbine blade set from them to make into wall art or a table - and the Tornado fuel filler cap which will be integrated into the MGB I'm building. Dad had an MG MGB GT when I was about 8 years old and I've wanted one ever since he sold his.

They happen to have the actual fueselage and cockpit of the first Lightning that dad flew solo in his logbook. Way out of my budget but will be cool to see in person. Hopefully it will be in budget when they are finished restoring it. :x:

Would make a badass flight sim rig with the controls made to function and a projector screen in front. I'm already picturing making the nose cone open and have the projector mounted in there or something of that nature. :noes:

Only missing a ton of money, some land and a large barn to store it in. :rofl:

iPost

OT Supporter
Jan 23, 2006
Mind if I share a pic of my grandpa? He passed away last year but I just loved this pic of him and his friends
lcG1OCC.jpg

rkddb

Masturbation is on my mind
May 23, 2005
He was from the last good generation.

No tears now, only shitheads from here onwards.

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
great pics, man. Sorry to hear about your dad :hs:

I've been scanning old pictures of my family, but I don't have very much of my dad in his teens and twenties. Your pictures are great.

TS
TS
Stylerod

Stylerod

150mph in a swimsuit :eek3:
Dec 23, 2001
150MPH in a Swimsuit :eek3:!
He was very lucky - he got to fly lots of cool stuff in his time.

On top of various training planes his main claims to fame is with the original English Electric Lightning, then moved on to the Tornado F3 fighter, and was very lucky to be trusted with the ONLY airworthy Lancaster Bomber at the time - flying the Lancaster for the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at shows. At the time the Canadian one was damaged.

I'm actually heading out tomorrow to visit a company that restores the aircraft for static displays etc - I bought a Tornado turbine blade set from them to make into wall art or a table - and the Tornado fuel filler cap which will be integrated into the MGB I'm building. Dad had an MG MGB GT when I was about 8 years old and I've wanted one ever since he sold his.

They happen to have the actual fueselage and cockpit of the first Lightning that dad flew solo in his logbook. Way out of my budget but will be cool to see in person. Hopefully it will be in budget when they are finished restoring it. :x:

Would make a badass flight sim rig with the controls made to function and a projector screen in front. I'm already picturing making the nose cone open and have the projector mounted in there or something of that nature. :noes:

Only missing a ton of money, some land and a large barn to store it in. :rofl:

OMG :bowdown: That is just cool as hell. If I knew your dad I would pick his brain for hours and hours.

SoCal_Pride

OT Supporter
May 16, 2002
oc, cali
Great thread! I love looking at old pics and hearing the stories behind them, thanks for sharing. Looks like your dad lived a full life. So sorry for your loss.

Oman4x4

OT Supporter
Sep 22, 2004

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor