"We have enough storage for this right.." v.ITCREW

A Cow

OT Supporter
Jul 7, 2005
Vancouver BC
Work has decided 5 weeks out from filming a new movie to switch from 4k to 6k..

Holy fucking eh.. My budget is not going up but the dataset is going from 1PB to 3PB instantly..

How bad do you think its going to be to try and get a quote.. ( and negotiate it down to near zero cause our budget is burned already upgrading to 4k ), order, install AND THEN figure out all the network upgrades i'm going to have to do to make sure that we can stream 360MB/s to all workstations..

fml.

Reactions: Cicada

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Jew Space Laser Control Center
Red Cameras are trash compaired to most other camera systems. they are just over priced.
I don't give a fuck - I set the timestamp to the point where they talk about "why shoot beyond 4k if people only have 4k" and then promptly have examples and samples from people that shoot at 8k and what they do in post.

WS6Formula350

2018 updated user text
Jul 5, 2001
Birmingham, AL
Typical IT shit...non technical people make a decision and it just doesn't work for IT. I'd have no problem telling them it can't be done.
our fucken sleep lab bought a whole software suite for take home sleep apnea tests and have all the physical hardware for it but didn't buy a server or anything else to actually run the application.

they emailed us and said, "Hey we need at least 3TB of space for studies and blah blah blah blah"

us: "Okay, great. Did they sell you a server with it?"
them: "They told us to call our IT department."
us: "Fantastic."

monolith

Hey, Herbie! How's life? Taking forever.
OT Supporter
May 9, 2004
Southern California
legit my email was this

"BAHAH your fucking joking.. my calculations where not for 6k.. it was for 4k and we are just barely going to have enough room for that."

the response was..

"The camera crew has decided"
Oh well in that case ask the camera crew for more money

Reactions: sirk
TS
TS
A Cow

A Cow

OT Supporter
Jul 7, 2005
Vancouver BC
Oh well in that case ask the camera crew for more money
The camera crew lead legit told me i'm a shit IT person because i don't run mac for **EVERYTHING** including running Macs for our render farm.. ( Our renderfarm is parked 5ft away from the guy who made GoT.. its the exact same hardware.. )

TS
TS
A Cow

A Cow

OT Supporter
Jul 7, 2005
Vancouver BC
our corp IT refuses to support macs

i wish we could do the same

doctor's buy them and have no idea how to use them and they don't fucking work with our VPN most of the time and it makes me want to die

We are phasing mac's out of our systems and moving to a Windows / Linux model.

Works so much better and is way cheaper.

Administration ( Accounting etc ) + Editors will be on windows.
Everyone else ( animators, compositors etc ) Linux.

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
No fucking shit eh..

Not only that but I am going to need to look at getting another datacenter rack to hold it all.. I only have enough space for another half PB.. :/ FML
For only 756k a year you can just put it all in a s3 bucket

Reactions: CPTMULLER

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
our corp IT refuses to support macs

i wish we could do the same

doctor's buy them and have no idea how to use them and they don't fucking work with our VPN most of the time and it makes me want to die

I worked for a school district once that was trying to do the 1:1 initiative, meaning putting a tablet or laptop in the hands of every student from grade 6 up.

Fine. We can make it work with Chromebooks.

Except the new superintendent doesn't like that idea. And we need to refresh hardware for teachers.

Ok, why not go to a terminal server for teachers and Chromebooks for students? That doesn't seem awful.

No? Why? BECAUSE SHE WANTED THEM ALL TO HAVE MACBOOKS.

Students got ipads and macbook air.

Teachers got macbook pros.

Support / admin got macbook pros as well, but beefier.

So many things just didn't work. It was a cluster fuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor