CAR Went out for a pint of British skim milk...

Ninja

OT Supporter
Oct 15, 2002
UK
...came back with this instead: 1998 Lotus Elise Series 1

It needs a massive detailing after having sat in a shed (basically untouched) for the last 10+ years with the top off. It's hard to describe just how tiny this thing is- weighs only 755 kg / 1665 lbs with a full tank.

After a thorough detail and some other small things, I plan to completely refresh the suspension and brakes.

447089.jpg

732306.jpg

New photos added on page 2

Last edited:

Phx Cobra

Jul 18, 2006
AZ
Congrats! The S1 are very special cars. Be extra careful with the front bonnet and make sure you keep it on a battery tender, swapping out that micro battery is a pita. I'd also strongly suggest you keep a fresh fire extinguisher in the car.
Will second the battery comment. I had a 2005 Elise and it was very similar, replacing the battery with something small/lightweight like a Braille lithum is a good choice.
Get a rash guard for under the front lip, because that fiberglass loooooves to get smoked and splinter.

monolith

Hey, Herbie! How's life? Taking forever.
OT Supporter
May 9, 2004
Southern California
Awesome

Always loved those cars, used to read the Lotustalk forums quite a bit. Reading about the cost of repairing or replacing the clamshell(s) was pretty interesting.

TS
TS
Ninja

Ninja

OT Supporter
Oct 15, 2002
UK
wow that's a great find. might want to go through all the hoses and belts to make sure they aren't dry rotted.
I've currently got about £3k/$4k in my eliseparts shopping cart o_O

I'll be replacing the radiator with an uprated alloy version along with a bunch of silicone hoses.

Car has a handful of upgrades including a Nitron suspension, full Larini exhaust, and Sport 160 spoiler. I also plan on picking up a hardtop.

Last edited:

patina

Aug 6, 2005
NC
I've currently got about £3k/$4k in my eliseparts shopping cart o_O

I'll be replacing the radiator with an uprated alloy version along with a bunch if silicone hoses.

Car has with a handful of upgrades including a Nitron suspension, full Larini exhaust, and Sport 160 spoiler. I also plan on picking up a hardtop.
I’d go ahead and upgrade to their quickshifter kit if it hasn’t already been done.

Reactions: Ninja

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448