went out for milk....

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Justintiime, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

got sidetracked by a grocery getter. 1964 Pontiac Catalina wagon.

The plan:

-Minor rust repair
    -Lower it
    -18" Weld wheels
    -4 or 6 speed swap
    -repaint emerald green

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My daughter loves the back seat :)
    [​IMG]

benji likes this.
  2. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

ahhh yis

that rear facing seat ftw

3. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

may as well repost in the main fyi

4. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

5. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

What engine does it have?

6. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

its got a 389 with a 2 barrel and single exhaust. Also has a "slim jim" 2 speed transmission that has no torque converter....????

It drives good, plenty of power. But the nature of the transmission is shift from 1-2 at 3k rpm, and 2-D it goes from 3000 RPM to 1200, and the shift takes literally about 2 seconds. Again, totally normal. I hate it though. GM Used this transmission only 2 or 3 years before abandoning it.

Catalinas got the shit transmission. bonnevilles got the much better Th400.

I have a Th400 to install if needed, but may just jump both feet in, and do the 4 speed swap and air ride right away. I have an appointment to drop it off for paint and body on Jan 1.

The car needs some rust repair on the passenger rear door. I happened to find an NOS door in Ohio so I picked it up on my way home. Talk about a diamond in the rough....how many NOS station wagon doors do you think are out there?

I need a gas tank and fuel sender. I'm finding all the parts I need are listed as "except wagon". WTF....not enough demand for them to be reproduced I guess. But damn....I cant even get shocks or springs from my normal places.

7. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

So on my way home from Chicago, I stopped in Pontiac, IL to visit my friends Tim and Penny Dye at the Pontiac Museum.

[​IMG]

I love this display....its the only one they have never changed. its a 64 wagon, from Canada, so its called a Laurentian I believe. It should also have a chevy motor in it from the factory

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I left the museum to trudge on to Ohio. I had to meet a friend the next day and pick up some parts. This mother fucker of a storm popped out of nowhere
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

people were driving up the ramps of the overpass to get out of the hail
    [​IMG]

almost out of the storm
    [​IMG]

Got to my buddies, picked up an NOS passenger rear door, and a front fender that I needed, and also a steering column for a stick shift car.
    [​IMG]

Once I got home, I got some better pics of the undercarriage

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Little bit crispy but not too bad.

I hired a mobile sandblaster to clean the undercarriage
    [​IMG]

He did it in the parking lot of the body shop, so when he was done they started sealing it immediately.

Primed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chip Coated. This shit will never go bad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the meantime, my license plate came in
    [​IMG]

I also found this car locally. Shame the frame is totally shot because I LOVE the lines on this car. BUT, it had a 4 speed, and a 3.23 posi center chunk (wagon has a 2.56 open chunk in it)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I stripped what I needed and will be scrapping it soon. This car really sped up the progress on my wagon.

Parts I've bought so far:
    - EZ-EFI 2.0 fuel injection
    - 068 Grind Ram Air Cam (will use in another motor)
    - Ram Air Restorations "Log Branch" manifolds good for like 600hp (will never reach this)
    - Master Power Brakes 4 wheel disc swap

First problem I'm running into is the new style 4150 throttle body doesn't match the old pontiac spread bore pattern. I have an adapter on the way that should help

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This weekend the drivetrain is coming out, the gears are going in, brakes are mostly going on. Monday the car goes back to the body shop to paint the engine bay, and next week the assembly will start again.

here are some better shots I've taken of the car

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

reconditioned gas tank
    [​IMG]

Thats all for now. Will update as progress happens. After this month I hope the mechanicals will be all done, and it will go in the body shop until its done in the spring.

Up next to order are some 18" american racing wheels, I'm thinking maybe a set of these
    [​IMG]

and also my air ride setup :)

Buttons likes this.
  8. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

That interior is mint

9. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

about as mint as can be in a 50 year old car. only needs minor touch ups :)

10. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

Engine and transmission are out. Car Is at body shop getting the engine bay painted

11. jelloslug

jelloslug OT Supporter

Just a little spruce up on that interior and it will be perfect. Are you getting pics while it's at the body shop?

12. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

yes, but its not much for right now. I will be stopping by periodically over the winter while its being stripped and painted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should be painted tomorrow. The paint they ordered did not come in today. Then the reassembly begins.

-Reinstall 389 (after replacing all seals and timing gears)
    -Swap in 4 speed
    -Install posi
    -Drive car to exhaust shop with open exhaust manifolds to install true duals (and O2 sensor bungs)
    -Drive back to buddies house
    -Install 4bbl intake
    -Install EFI

And the mechanicals should be done! May spring to just have the front end rebuilt for the hell of it. I don't want to have to bring it to the shop at a later date.

Once its at the body shop they will handle the wheels and air ride and paint.

13. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

I'm just happy to see how solid the car is :) I plan on keeping this one for a very long time.

14. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

I was out of town last week. My buddy picked the car up from the body shop and brought it to his garage to work on. he sent me these pics of the recent paint work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HORRIBLE job. painted over leafs, painted over old stickers, and painted over ALL the 50 year old grease. WTF were thy thinking?

Going back to get the car today, and bring it to the shop tomorrow. Super happy I haven't paid them a dime yet. This is pretty frustrating. They've worked on 6 of my cars with excellent results, then they pull this shit, like I wouldn't notice???

15. Trouser Trout

Trouser Trout OT Supporter

Jesus dude. I was hoping those were before pics. I'd choke a bitch :o

16. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

[y]KdhozKxRzM0[/y]

I'm not a hyper or upset person. It takes a LOT to make me raise my voice. In this case I think its in everyones best interest that they weren't open this weekend because I probably would have made an ass out of myself.

I've calmed down now. its only paint. Hopefully they make it right. If they don't, at least it looks better than it did, and I didn't pay anything. I've also got another body shop lined up if I decided not to use this shop anymore. Most of that will hinge on what they say about this BS job.

Rounded up a ton of parts today (water pump, oil pump, belts, hoses etc) and did a little work too.

First off, I had to unload a uhaul trailer full of equipment I picked up for work last week. In the trailer was this:
    [​IMG]

My grandfather sold his house and is giving away everything. he gave me this sweet box full of tools :)

Previous owner told me he changed the oil "multiple times" in the 3 months they owned it and prepared it for sale. Fuckin liars.

[​IMG]

Pulled the hurst shifter apart. Felt SUPER sloppy in the parts car. Thought it was in neutral but it wasnt. These rods go from the shifter, down the side of the trans, into brackets. There are bushings around each end of each rod. ALL the bushings were GONE. Only reason the rods didn't fall out is because of those e-clips. Replacement bushings were found on ebay for like $4 shipped.
    [​IMG]

Assembled the transmission after a quick inspection, and spray bombed it black
    [​IMG]

Motor is on a stand. Oil pump is replace, water pump is replaced. Timing chain and gears are replaced. I need to source a couple bolts and gaskets, reassemble the engine, and spray bomb it blue.

Depending on what the body shop does, I may have everything back in the car in a week. My good buddy David has been a HUGE help on this car and has done most of the work. I've been swamped running my business and traveling.

17. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

Didn't even get a chance to go to the body shop today. they sent me an email at 8:30am loosely stating "sorry we didn't meet your expectations. Its on the house, and we don't want you to come back"

The general manager said they never should have taken on "restoration" work, because they specialize in collision work.

:rofl:

18. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

Pushing forward, I plan on cleaning the grease out of the engine bay and rattle canning the rest. should be good enough.

Stripping the engine down for paint. I've replace the timing gears and chain, new water pump and oil pump.

Original paint still evident :)
    [​IMG]

Pontiac blue
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just about done. valve covers need some more attention
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Progress may be slowing a bit. my best friend that has been helping me was in a serious wreck this week. Second time he's fallen asleep at the wheel and wrecked the car. This one was MUCH worse. Had the drivers door not popped open and allowed him to fall out, he would have been crushed. Time for a second opinion from the sleep lab about having sleep apnea or SOMETHING wrong.... I've been feeling weird all week at the thought that I almost lost my best friend :(

Hit a tree
    [​IMG]

All his heavy equipment shot forward
    [​IMG]

SO LUCKY
    [​IMG]

19. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

My buddy is pretty much healed up now, and progress on the car has resumed.

My valve covers were wrecked in the crash so I upgraded to a cooler set
    [​IMG]

stripped and painted silver for some contrast
    [​IMG]

Ready to go in
    [​IMG]

test fitting the ram air manifolds
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CLOSE FIT looking for an alternative
    [​IMG]

Its back in, but not finished just yet
    [​IMG]

Hole has been cut for the shifter
    [​IMG]

This "shifter porch" gives a flat spot for the shift boot to set
    [​IMG]

test fit
    [​IMG]

have to open it up a bit more. this is the trim ring
    [​IMG]

Mocked up....looks great :)
    [​IMG]

Cool little bit found under the front carpet :)
    [​IMG]

Should be running and driving soon!

20. TimzSI

TimzSI Dubai was Lit Mannnnnnnng. Get well Nickos!

Wow what a cool thread.

21. TimzSI

TimzSI Dubai was Lit Mannnnnnnng. Get well Nickos!

And sorry about your buddy, I was glad to read he was recovered

22. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

yes he is super lucky

23. mover

mover and shaker OT Supporter

Very nice. My family had one...the 2 speed tranny was actually pretty good for acceleration in it's day. It was a fun car. I drove it until about '78, but the rust was pretty bad..I had to stick a sheet of plywood under the seat to keep it in the car.:mamoru:

24. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Great pics on the build!

25. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

Couple weeks ago we tried to get the car running. The carb that was on the car magically stopped working. I took the new one off the parts car and put it on the motor. We got it to fire a little, but you can tell by the sound of the engine, that the timing is off. My buddy SWORE he never moved the distributor, but it was out of time.

http://vid60.photobucket.com/albums/h29/Racer001/Wagon/20151219_132810_zpspujug3g4.mp4

The transmission swap is almost done. The shift linkages were hitting the floor, so we had to massage it a little in these spots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Believe it or not, this shift indicator was interfering with the new pedals from my parts car
    [​IMG]

Luckily, the parts car had the proper delete plate!
    [​IMG]

Here it is installed. This is a $300 piece, IF you can find one. Another win!
    [​IMG]

Installed
    [​IMG]

Automatic pedal on bottom, manual pedal on top. The manual pedal was hitting the auto shift indicator. Didn't expect that problem.
    [​IMG]

The pedals are in! Just have to mount the gas pedal
    [​IMG]

So, this past July I was at the Pontiac-Oakland Club nationals. While in the swap meet I found something I wanted so bad. After 2 days of thinking on it, I decided to pass. Its specific to a station wagon. I told myself "I'm not going to buy a part, for a car I don't even own." Two weeks later, I found and purchased my wagon! I've regretted my decision ever since....until last week!
    [​IMG]

Its an NOS roof rack luggage bag! It will look right at home :) I doubt I'll find another any time soon, so I snatched this up right away.