Were you raised religious?

digital jello

i'll be jeans soon
OT Supporter
Mar 14, 2006
I went to CCD after school and am a confirmed Catholic. That all ended about then.

Any other recovering religious kids here

Mperor

I flow like butterbeer on Diagon streets
OT Supporter
Jun 9, 2003
Seattle
Baptized, confirmed and church going on Christmas and Easter until I left for college and I never looked back

phatguy88

OT Supporter
Nov 8, 2005
boston
Pretty much. Half english / half hebrew elementary school, bar mitzvah , temple on saturdays. Haven't been (as my choice) since I went to college :rofl:. Not religious at all

fuck keeping kosher. it's seriously jewish extortion

calisteph6

May 5, 2005
KRAPROOM
Not really. My dads family was catholic and my moms was baptist but not really regular church goers. It’s bizarre because now my mom says she’s upset I don’t have god in my life... like we never even went to church when I was a kid so I think that’s just some mom guilt trip thing.

Grape_Ape

OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2003
The A
Yep, grew up in the Caribbean and with my grandma most summers so you know we hit that church, Sunday school, kids bible study during the week etc hard. Once my parents were established and I was in the US they fell into the black southern baptist 12 hours on Sunday, people catching the holy ghost, pinch you hard af if you fell asleep, pastor locking the doors, etc stuff for awhile. Once my grandmother died of cancer when I was around 7?? That was the end of church, God, etc for my mom and in turn the family.

Last edited:
Reactions: couchlock

Drifter

ヽ(o´∀`)ノ♪♬
Mar 6, 2000
Canada
Nope, am the product of a mixed marriage couple from Northern Ireland. My Mum wanted to raise me in the United Church but my Dad wouldn’t allow it.

hypntyz

OT Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
east TN
Raised by my ultra religious mother, while my father wanted no part of it, and they split up over lifestyle differences when I was 14.

In the meantime my aunt and uncle and their two children lived like actual puritans, we're talking no tvs or radio, pray before every meal, get on your knees at night, in church every time the door is open, not only could they not curse but they got in trouble for using "by-words" to stand in, etc. And of course their lifestyle influenced my mother greatly.

I went to a private southern baptist christian school twice, 4th-5th grade, then had to integrate back into a random middle school where I knew no one, then again 9th-11th grade at the christian school, then again my senior year of HS I had to integrate into yet another random school in another town where I knew no one.

I got a job at the restaurant across the street from school my senior year, worked as much as I could, met a GF and lost my virginity to her, bought my first car an 81 chevette for $350, and within a week I moved out at 17 and was living on the street for about a month before I saved enough to rent a shitty mobile home in a trailer park.

I've only returned to church a handful of times for family funerals and similar, and I only speak to my mother a handful of times a year via text or a short phone call.

• Wow
Reactions: Cicada

Jumpem

Oct 9, 2002
Evangelical. My mom met my former step dad at a fundamentalist church. They pulled me out of secular school at the end of sixth grade. I never went to high school. Never made any friends because of it. Had a rough time growing up. It was not a positive experience, and has negatively affected my entire life.

ERock

I'm not a cat
OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2002
SoCal
Not really... Parents were not practicing.

Went to a catholic hs though. Just because my friends went :o

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman