WFH crew - bump this thread whenever you do something you couldn't do with an in-office job.

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
At the new job I'm starting soon, I took a down-level to Sr for a pay increase :mamoru: No management duties, IC role, more pay. Yes, please. Although they're hybrid so I'm a scummy interloper for this thread :rofl: I need to get out of my house though, so it'll be a good change.

I'd probably still be there if my 1-up didn't leave and if I didn't end up having all his management shit roll downhill onto me.

They asked about that in the interview (my current title) and you could see the manager smile when I mentioned how management is an entirely different skillset. I don't think many truly appreciate that until you get a taste. I was trying to serve 2 masters and did so poorly. That context-switching is a fucking beast of a task.

IC4Lyfe :bowdown:
I did the same thing, basically.

Worked my way up to manager, and basically a month later took another job as IC at a pay jump (even after the pay jump to manager), and it was a concern.

Now I'm leading/coordinating and playing out a ton of mgmt-esque duties and, I think, about to get tapped to fill our manager role :o

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ

Worked my way up to manager, and basically a month later took another job as IC at a pay jump (even after the pay jump to manager), and it was a concern.

Now I'm leading/coordinating and playing out a ton of mgmt-esque duties and, I think, about to get tapped to fill our manager role :o
My issue with being a manager is that I. COULD. NOT. keep myself from becoming a "working manager" the times I did it, because I'd always end up in positions where we'd be understaffed, I couldn't get more FTE's or contractors on board due to budget, I knew how to do the job, and so I'd end up down in the trenches.

That always meant that my direct reports loved me, and knew that I understood their situation better than more hands off managers, but it also meant that my work life balance would be PROPER. FUCKED. :hsd:

Real talk, in 2016 I was pulling multiple 100hr work weeks in a row and my beard started turning grey. I had just turned 30.

Before that I thought that whole "stress makes your hair turn grey" thing was an old wives tale. :rofl:

So yeah, going to an App Engineer Senior ended up being a pay increase over-all because of negotiation but my ceiling is now lower, but my stress levels are so much better.

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
I'd planned on going architect or consultant starting in 2024, but when I was scouted to be an AGILE IDM Lead and turned that down for similar reasons to not wanting to be a manager again the VP in charge of that asked what my plans were. Told him the first part of the last sentence and he said "well we've got a domain architect position opening up over Infrastructure that'll report directly to me, I think you should apply for that".

THE SUBTEXT AS THEY SAY

WAS UNDERSTOOD :rofl:

mistergin

Morale has improved but I find I miss the beatings
May 12, 2001
Southeast Valley

Soft skills add an element of gravity to you that tends to suck you into orbits like that. I find that I seek to reach out and grow early on but then there's a tipping point where the weeds start to wrap around you because who else can fill your shoes? :hsd: Then something like attrition pops up and now you're uniquely suited for something you don't enjoy, etc etc.

There are some places with terminal senior positions but I haven't hit one yet. And if I have, it likely changed at some point, and was only that in name. Most end up like what you said. I think the secret is to move around more often every couple years, but I also hate interviewing. First-world probs.

Reactions: amalgamas

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
Anyone else just getting bonuses these days and not having anyone tell you why till after the fact?

In the past two years I've gotten a stack of them, which isn't odd because I'm a fucking machine :scootin: , but before WFH started people would make some time to let me know they were coming.

Now it just shows up in my paycheck and every time the paranoid part of me thinks it was a mistake, that somehow my taxes weren't withheld right, or that payroll fucked up somehow. :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamedali2022