WFH crew - bump this thread whenever you do something you couldn't do with an in-office job.

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
Love pot roast tbh
link to your pot roast recipe?
My wife is trying it with a new spice mix than we normally use.

Normally we do:
  1. 3 pounds beef chuck
  2. Salt
  3. 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
  4. 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  5. 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  6. 1 large onion - diced
  7. 5 medium carrots (12 ounces) - peeled and quartered
  8. 4 celery stalks - cut
  9. 5 to 6 garlic cloves - sliced
  10. 1 ½ tablespoons high heat cooking oil
  11. 3 cups beef broth
  12. 1 to 2 bouillon cubes
  13. 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  14. 4 rosemary sprigs
  15. 4 thyme sprigs
  16. 1 bay leaf
  17. 12 ounces baby potatoes
  18. Put them all in the pot for 6 hours on cook and 6-8 hours at keep warm
I asked her what she put in this one but she hasn't gotten it to me yet. I know that she basically blew through the rest of our smoked paprika though. :rofl:

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
link to your pot roast recipe?
So this is what went into the rub for the 3lbs of chuck steak:

1 Tbsp all:
Brown sugar
Garlic powder
Onion powder
dried oregano
Dried thyme
Coarse salt
Ground pepper
Smoked Paprika

apply to the roast, wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate over night.

The rest of the recipe is as follows:

5-6 garlic cloves - sliced
1 whole white onion - diced
3 cups beef broth
2-3 bay leafs
4 fresh thyme sprigs
4 fresh rosemary sprigs
5 medium carrots - peeled and quartered

If you're wondering why no potatoes it's because we had a separate mashed potato dish

It turned out pretty good but honestly the garlic Parmesan mash potatoes were the star last night, so we might just ditch this pot roast recipe and figure out something better to go with the potatoes.

• Love
Reactions: mistergin

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
Got my interview for the Domain Architect position at my company scheduled.

That's a huge change for me and would get me out of the standard Infrastructure IT tract.

Also comes with a hefty pay increase, all while continuing to WFH. :tbow:
Breaking out of the standard IT track for infrastructure folk is key to that work/life/wallet balance :bigthumb:

• Love
Reactions: amalgamas

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
Breaking out of the standard IT track for infrastructure folk is key to that work/life/wallet balance :bigthumb:
without going management again I'm pretty much at the top of where I can go as it is. I'm a senior application engineer, which means other than yearly bonuses, COL adjustments, and my yearly 4-6% increase I'm pretty much stuck. I've hated all the times I was a manager though, so this is the best option that keeps me in a technical position but actually allows me to do more and yeah pays a whole fuck of a lot more. :mamoru2:

• Cool

Legend Zero

OT Supporter
Jan 14, 2005
i love the extra sleep and ability to do whatever, but got to say that this week especially, i am missing the community aspect of WFH. it's hard because we're sacrificing that community for our 9 mo old so we can have more time with him - but sometimes i just miss the interaction.

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
Removing the bra when I'm done with video conferences for the day. Oh my god, I never want to go back to the office. I feel like that alone would be torture. :rofl:
My wife doesn’t bother with them anymore unless we’re leaving the house.

It’s bad because she is down to having a couple as she switched to one type that’s more comfy or something, and rarely does she need more than a couple days supply. We’re going to Hawaii for about a week and I’ve asked her what she’s going to do since we’re meeting up with friends for a portion of it :rofl:

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
I'm still learning to be a sys admin, and I don't have the mental bandwidth outside of work right now
I’m writing up a guide for my nephew who has started his journey, and wants to get into something that’ll have a solid career path for a while, you want me to forward it over?

Reactions: amalgamas

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
Slept in today because me and the wife slept late last night.

Thank fuck I could do that and not worry about a commute.

I’ve got hardly any work today so I’m just chilling.

mistergin

Morale has improved but I find I miss the beatings
May 12, 2001
Southeast Valley
without going management again I'm pretty much at the top of where I can go as it is. I'm a senior application engineer, which means other than yearly bonuses, COL adjustments, and my yearly 4-6% increase I'm pretty much stuck. I've hated all the times I was a manager though, so this is the best option that keeps me in a technical position but actually allows me to do more and yeah pays a whole fuck of a lot more. :mamoru2:

At the new job I'm starting soon, I took a down-level to Sr for a pay increase :mamoru: No management duties, IC role, more pay. Yes, please. Although they're hybrid so I'm a scummy interloper for this thread :rofl: I need to get out of my house though, so it'll be a good change.

I'd probably still be there if my 1-up didn't leave and if I didn't end up having all his management shit roll downhill onto me.

They asked about that in the interview (my current title) and you could see the manager smile when I mentioned how management is an entirely different skillset. I don't think many truly appreciate that until you get a taste. I was trying to serve 2 masters and did so poorly. That context-switching is a fucking beast of a task.

IC4Lyfe :bowdown:

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
Dropped my kid off at school, did some laundry, got a latte. Pretty dope.

Also reworked some scripts, am sitting in an automation meeting, address some issues on various servers, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026