SPORTS What are good signs for a muay thai class and what are red flags?

XJ3B

wat
Aug 4, 2007
Looking to start muay thai soon, never really done striking work before. What signs should I be looking for when I take the class?

Hillary

fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill
Dec 12, 2007
Arkansaw
Asians are a must. And sticks to beat you with. If you see those two things, sign a contract ASAP.

checkii

ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว
Jun 29, 2003
rain street
credentials of instructors.
Relax rules on sparring and pad training.
structured classes (beg, int, adv)
actual fighters that have come from that gym
fighters currently training at the gym
Good sanitation
and Asians with sticks

rtzcom

bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~
Jan 14, 2005
CT
See how good the students are at keeping their hands up as they work mitts or spar.

WTF asian with sticks LOL

jag6984

Apr 24, 2004
Rio De Janeiro
I've been to some good and bad gyms. It's usually pretty obvious, and most of it has been covered.

Look for the credentials, and affliations with the big organizations (WKA,WMC,IFMA). Also an affliation with a gym in Thailand is a good thing. Although Dutch gyms are good as well.

The quality of the fighters at the gym, or if they have any at all

The class structure and how organized they are, how much the instructors actually instruct. i.e. do they just make you do drills and not really review your technique

Beginners, intermediate, advanced, and fighter classes is a good sign. In the beginner and intermediate classes they should be pretty strict about the sparring IMO, not just beating up on people.

The last thing is how the instructors and fighters are. At the more professional gyms, they tend to be very helpful and friendly. At the shitty ones, they tend to be macho jerks.

darkjedi

Muay Thai expert
Dec 29, 2003
#1 quality of fighters - find a gym that has alot of competitors. in my experience the instruction starts lacking and gets watered down when there are little to no fighters that train there. Muay thai is a ring sport "the belt is in the ring" not in the gym.

#2 find all the MT schools in your area and take a free intro class to check out the training environment.

checkii

ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว
Jun 29, 2003
rain street
#1 quality of fighters - find a gym that has alot of competitors. in my experience the instruction starts lacking and gets watered down when there are little to no fighters that train there. Muay thai is a ring sport "the belt is in the ring" not in the gym.

#2 find all the MT schools in your area and take a free intro class to check out the training environment.
couldnt agree more.

teep

Mar 7, 2006
find a trainer thats actually fought muay thai before. not just some glorified tae kwon do match they called kickboxing

teep

Mar 7, 2006
oh also be wary of gyms that offer too much. usually a gym that says they have muay thai, jiu jitsu, ninjitsu, krav maga, eskrima, joe son do, etc means they probably don't do any of them very well

Hillary

fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill
Dec 12, 2007
Arkansaw
if they advertise "ultimate fighting" then take your UFC gloves out and get going!

energie

I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the
Jun 15, 2006
oilcity alberta
has anyone heard of Mike Miles national kickboxing based out of alberta canada?

i think im gonna check them out. do most classes offer month to month or do i have to sign up for a year/etc

jag6984

Apr 24, 2004
Rio De Janeiro
I was at Mike Miles for a couple of years, it's a very good school. He trains some very good fighters, Trevor Smandych was on The Contender Asia. I highly recommend it.

It's somewhat strict, you have to bow when you enter or leave the training floor. They somewhat frown upon people showing up late, and don't put up with a whole lot of chatting (especially if an instructor is talking). But you won't find a better one in Calgary. Mike knows his shit and they will get you into shape quick.

tkluu

Dec 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
has anybody heard of a guy named Chris Chandler?
chris_chandler_1.jpg

energie

I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the
Jun 15, 2006
oilcity alberta
I was at Mike Miles for a couple of years, it's a very good school. He trains some very good fighters, Trevor Smandych was on The Contender Asia. I highly recommend it.

It's somewhat strict, you have to bow when you enter or leave the training floor. They somewhat frown upon people showing up late, and don't put up with a whole lot of chatting (especially if an instructor is talking). But you won't find a better one in Calgary. Mike knows his shit and they will get you into shape quick.

im going to Edmonton one. I want something strict but just have to look if it works into my schedule pretty busy.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan