what can i do for cheap in a 2001 focus?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pummer, Aug 19, 2005.

1. pummer

pummer New Member

Basically I want aux input and decent sound, for a kid on a budget. Where do I start? :hs:

2. pummer

pummer New Member

JVC Arsenal KD-AR560 is what I'm looking at. Looks clean, front aux in. Anyone have any experience with it?

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Go eBay (from a high positive feedback seller, buy-it-now), go Alpine, buy their aux in adapter. Or pioneer I guess. Check websites for models with aux-in feature. I'd do the work of searching, but I'm sure you are just as capable.

4. pummer

pummer New Member

I'd like to self-install, but I really have no idea how beyond the basics. I'd need an install kit - should I just grab the corresponding one from Crutchfield?

5. pummer

pummer New Member

Also, I'm not really sure I want to even mess with the speakers, since I might sell the car in less than a year. Is it even worth it to get a beyond-basic header, or should I just stick with a POS Aiwa that has aux-in?

6. veonake

It's not hard to install a HU. Buy the right harness from crutchfield like you said and snap it in place. You'll need to crimp some connections (unless you can solder), but that's also easy. Just don't rush things. Read some guides online and the instruction manual. I'm sure they have DIY tutorials on a Focus forum somewhere to make it real clear.

I'd still go with like a $150 Alpine. You can take it out in a year and snap in your old stock head unit when you sell it because you'll be using a wiring harness which allows you to not cut any wires.

7. johnson

johnson New Member

Kenwood KDC-X589. Aux adapter is another $12.

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

the kenwood excelon is an excellent choice, but may be a little more pricey than he wants to go. you can use any kenwood radio that has cd changer/sirius capabilites and the RCA/aux input adaptor will work fine. I don't recall Alpine making an M-bus to RCA adaptor, but i could be wrong. I know that they make the Ai-Net/RCA plug

9. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

I would check around at your local stereo stores. See who has the best deal with for the prices you can afford. I also recommened not letting the companys swich up the brands on you i.e kicker subs with pioneer amp. I would also recommened putting in a 10" or two in your car. A 12" will be nice but I learned that 2 is way too much.

10. veonake

There is absolutely nothing wrong from a technical standpoint of mixing and matching brands for most components, except when you get down to things like crossovers.

Also, you only get 38% more cone area with two 10's over one 12, at the expense of cargo space, a heavier box, and more complicated wiring. That said, it's also possible that two 12's will have less output than two 10's depending on other factors. I think you're making too many generalized statements.