TECH What do you guys usually backup?

RobertF

Sep 4, 2008
Hi Guys,

I am just wondering what stuffs you usually backup. Just out of my curiosity.

1. I dont backup
2. Assignments
3. Business files data
4. Photos/ Images
5. E-mails
6. What is backup?:shifty:
7. Others

Thanks

Bencorn

Sep 9, 2007
Ames, IA
I have raid 5 setup on my movies drives and another raid 5 setup on my tv/music/iso storage drives. So in a way I guess I back everything up, but I don't actually keep extra copies around.

trouphaz

Sep 22, 2003
I have raid 5 setup on my movies drives and another raid 5 setup on my tv/music/iso storage drives. So in a way I guess I back everything up, but I don't actually keep extra copies around.

RAID != backup.

i just backup my entire profile. i'm too lazy to find individual pieces that matter to me.

Harry Caray

Fine purveyor of x.264,x265 & UHDVideo!
Apr 19, 2001
MyCrews:SoCal,Tesla,EV's
RAID is not backup :rolleyes:

It's a way of "redundancy" but not backup.... I have 10+ tb of data on a RAID-6 setup (dual rotating spare parity) but never would consider it "BACKUP"

I then mirror it to a R5 array... but still, I don't consider it "BACKED UP" :rolleyes:

Tape & off line storage is "BACKUP" solutions

crontab

Oracle doesn't have customers, they have hostages.
Nov 14, 2000
i just burn my pictures onto dvd and put them into my safe deposit box.

that's the really only thing i backup. i don't really care about anything else that i have on my pc.

cmsurfer

ºllllllº
Jun 6, 2003
NJ
I use a program called Second Copy to back up my data to an external drive... Usually do it once or twice a week. Email, pics, music, Quicken data, documents...

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
I have a set of old laptop hard drives installed into these:

17-198-022-03.jpg

...which plug into this:

17-994-040-02.jpg

...and I use them to make a backup of "\WINDOWS" and "System State", as well as everything in "\Documents and Settings" (excluding .TMP files). That's pretty much all you need to get a computer up and running again after a catastrophic failure.

I also have a RAID array in my machine, which is running slowly for some weird reason, but is otherwise has never suffered a failure.

Doomsday

XXX
Mar 14, 2000
Minnesota
automatic backups scheduled every 2 weeks on my system drive.
that includes emails, my docs, etc.

pictures and important docs are burned to dvds
everything else has a copy in external hdds or NAS

Stilgar1973

Aug 12, 2006

Raid isn't a backup.
I mean, if you have a failed drive then hell yeah you are fine.

But go screwing round one day, repartition some of your drives, come to the awful conclusion that you repartitioned the wrong drives, Raid does nothing for that.
That is what a good backup is for.

Stilgar1973

Aug 12, 2006
i dont consider it backup unless its off site... and i backup everything except temp download folders

I have been using Carbonite for 4 months now.
Really, really slow backups. I still haven't completed a full backup of my main rig.

The upside is they have unlimited storage. If you get creative on ebay (like I did) you can get a year for relatively cheap.

nucklearknight

Sep 21, 2008
San Francisco, California
Really, really slow backups. I still haven't completed a full backup of my main rig.

The upside is they have unlimited storage. If you get creative on ebay (like I did) you can get a year for relatively cheap.
Carbonite looks cool because it works in the background and is online but what if your subscription runs out? Is all your data deleted immediately?

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005

And that's why when my office's file server got a mirror in the other office, the mirror came here first to get synchronized. Even a couple hundred GBs can take over a week on your average consumer connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxvell32