TECH What is an iPhone restore supposed to do?

trouphaz

Sep 22, 2003
I was under the impression that a restore would make the iphone setup exactly like it was when it was backed up. So, I figured it would restore all of my apps and keep the settings for those apps. I've never really been able to get that to work. If I did a restore or an update, I end up losing my app settings. I also end up having to install one app on the phone before it even lets me sync apps over.

Anyway, am I expecting the wrong thing? It is always a pain to lose my progress in games and the like.

Pepe

Apr 11, 2009
8 Mile
i always find it humorous to listen to people complain about itunes not working right. it is not that hard at all, and 99% of the time it is users being fucking retarded. not saying the OP is, but just had to put that out there.

also, steve jobs is still a douche

TS
TS
trouphaz

trouphaz

Sep 22, 2003
i'm not complaining, i'm just trying to understand what i need to expect. i'm doing backups and the phone isn't jailbroken. i had a problem with the phone so i did the typical troubleshooting steps. i rebooted, then did a hard reboot, then came time to do a backup and restore. when i did that, i got back most of the settings like WiFi and the like, but no apps other than the default ones. at the genius guy's suggestion, i even tried fully uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes following some document on Apple's site. same thing.

i may very well be at fault for this. maybe i'm missing a step. maybe i need to sync one more time after restoring or something. i don't know. i have another phone that i wanted to update to 4.2.1, but i've been avoiding it due to the fact that i tend to lose a lot of stuff.

oakie

yo ninja.
Nov 20, 2001
SoDo
i'm not complaining, i'm just trying to understand what i need to expect. i'm doing backups and the phone isn't jailbroken. i had a problem with the phone so i did the typical troubleshooting steps. i rebooted, then did a hard reboot, then came time to do a backup and restore. when i did that, i got back most of the settings like WiFi and the like, but no apps other than the default ones. at the genius guy's suggestion, i even tried fully uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes following some document on Apple's site. same thing.

i may very well be at fault for this. maybe i'm missing a step. maybe i need to sync one more time after restoring or something. i don't know. i have another phone that i wanted to update to 4.2.1, but i've been avoiding it due to the fact that i tend to lose a lot of stuff.

there are two types of restores... if you just click on restore, it'll wipe the device then reinstall the latest version of iOS, thus a factory restore.

if you hold option + click on restore, it'll restore the device to a previous backup of your choice.

TS
TS
trouphaz

trouphaz

Sep 22, 2003
have you backed up the device before doing a backup+restore?

just the normal sync process where it is copying all of my apps to the computer and any new apps on the computer to the phone. i also chose restore from backup and it gave me a few backups to choose from.

omgwtfbbqryan

OT Supporter
Aug 22, 2003
CA
iphone-restore-from-backup.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcdiana