SRS What is the best way to handle disability a year from retirement

Nov 9, 2005
Cancer is a bitch. Father in law had cancer come back for a 4th time this time on his brain. He beat it the first 3x and went back to work and generally enjoys working. He is tough and we have been visiting and doing anything we can to help keep his spirits up right now.

This time everything happened so quick from getting a MRI, dr follow up, surgery. The dr said he can't work anymore and can't drive since they did surgery to remove near the part of the brain that controls balance functions.

Any advice handling this from a retirement / disability perspective? Not sure if he should just retire or do disability then retire. I'm afraid they are just going to do something without thinking it through which will hurt them financially when money is already tight. He was planning on retiring next year.

Grape_Ape

OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2003
The A
This is one of those rare cases where OT experts at everything LLC will defer you to legal counsel

Jd

Jun 29, 2007
SC
I don’t have any advice, but I got love for you and your family, bro. :hug:

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
Sorry, man :hs:

how old is he? What kind of retirement/disability options does he have? Are you talking Social Security disability (SSDI) or does he have his own policy?

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Cancer is a bitch. Father in law had cancer come back for a 4th time this time on his brain. He beat it the first 3x and went back to work and generally enjoys working. He is tough and we have been visiting and doing anything we can to help keep his spirits up right now.

This time everything happened so quick from getting a MRI, dr follow up, surgery. The dr said he can't work anymore and can't drive since they did surgery to remove near the part of the brain that controls balance functions.

Any advice handling this from a retirement / disability perspective? Not sure if he should just retire or do disability then retire. I'm afraid they are just going to do something without thinking it through which will hurt them financially when money is already tight. He was planning on retiring next year.
Going to need to physically go in and talk to social security office. See if you can sign both spouses up online at www.ssa.gov to get some general information.

Not sure if he is taking "early" retirement or "full benefits age" retirement.
Not sure what benefits his spouse is eligible for if and when she files for "Early" or "full benefits age"

Disability is a whole different timeline/application from social security even though SS handles both programs.

Disability benefits/SS benefits are taxable anywhere 0-85% depending on their "other non social security/disability income" so it can vary year to year if they have other passive income.

I am not very familiar with Disability benefits process/how it interacts with SS retirement benefits.

Best of luck.

TimzSI

#KeepFightingMichael
Oct 3, 2001
Zenadu
Brain cancer/tumor? Not to be disheartening, but I think mortality time limit may come into play really quickly.

How old is your FiL?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan