TECH What is wrong with this god forsaken pile of crap?

phoenix1105

OT Supporter
Feb 22, 2005
Hey all. Here is my problem a couple days ago my main desktop started flickering on and off. I thought the psu might be a little loose or something. However I checked the wires and they are all plugged in snug. Also no power is getting into the computer ... no bios lights, none of the hardwired neons (they came hardwired to the case). So I am thinking it has to be the PSU most likely or maybe the mobo.

I don't have a spare mobo or PSU to test so what do You think I should do.??Answers may include all the usual OT responses, and hopefully a few on topic responses. I am thinking I am going to have to just buy another PSU from tigerdirect, if it works great. If it doesn't work then i can probably send it back. Any other idea are very welcomed

thekraft

Mar 2, 2005
Pull everything off the mobo, and try replugging just the PSU to it. There may be a loose connection, even if it seems snug. Other than that, I can only suggest that you try a spare PSU from somewhere. :-/

Stilgar1973

Aug 12, 2006
The FIRST thing you want to do is verify that the outlet and the surge protector you have the computer plugged into is working properly.

I own a house that I have tenants in. Inside said house is a button I refer to as the 'new refrigerator button'. A week before the tenants moved in I discovered that the frig had stopped working. I bought a new frig. When the new frig came THAT frig didn't work either.
When I looked up the problem I discovered that that special kitchen breaker (you know the one, the red button on the switch plate) had been pressed. The old frig wasn't broken ... no power was getting to it.

So therefore step 1 is being 100% certain that there is actually power going to the PC. It happens to the best of us.

Step 2)

One of the advantages to a PC over a laptop is that the power supply in a PC is physically separated from the motherboard. This isn't the case in a laptop. One of the FEATURES of a power supply is that in the event of a surge it is supposed to break rather then pass the surge onto the mobo.
Power supplies are cheap and easy to replace. Wouldn't you rather replace a power supply then a bunch of expensive components?

So here is what you do:
Unplug your PC from the wall and carefully open it up.

Before you start yanking plugs I want you to look closely at the plugs coming out of the power supply and take notes on a couple of things.

a) There is a large rectangular 20 pin plug that goes into the mobo. Take a very careful look at this plug. On some computers there is an additional 4 pin plug (for 24 pins total) off one end of this plug. If this is the case (and it may not be) it will be kind of hard to see. It is important you identify it if it is there. If it is there make a note that you need a 4 pin plug.

b) now carefully look at the rest of the motherboard. There MAY be an additional 4 pin plug going from the power supply to the mobo. Pay special attention to the video card and the CPU. Those are normally the spots where the additional plug can be found. If you see it jot down on your notepad that it exists.

c) now look at the video card itself. There may be a 4 pin plug, a 6 pin plug, a 4pin + a 6 pin (or any combination of the two) on the videocard. It may not have any additional plugs. Be sure to write down if it has them.

**note on A, B, C: if these plugs came loose or are disconnected they can cause your PC not to boot. It is possible this is the problem you have so pay attention. Also, look at the CPU fan. that plugs into the mobo. That plug coming loose or the fan not functioning can cause your PC not to boot as well.

Now go to Best Buy (or whatever your retailer of choice is) and purchase a power supply with a credit card. You took notes on how many additional 4 pin and 6 pin plugs it needs. Be certain that whatever powersupply you purchase has enough of these plugs for your board.
Swapping in a new power supply for an old one really is a simple matter of replacing 4 screws and plugging everything in.
If your PC boots with the new power supply then you have resolved the problem, if it doesn't then you know the problem is a bit deeper.

The reason you used a credit card is so you could return the power supply. For a simple job of seeing of the old power supply is busted then any old power supply that meets the 4 and 6 pin requirements will do. But - I HIGHLY RECOMEND that if you do find the power supply is the problem getting on Newegg and purchasing a good quality one. If you spend some bucks here and get something with ample power for your computer it will keep you from having problems down the road.

TS
TS
phoenix1105

phoenix1105

OT Supporter
Feb 22, 2005
Ok, thanks guys. I wil try just hooking the mobo and seeing what happens.

And the survey says: Nothing is coming on at all. Ok, Next step... time to order new PSU

Stilgar1973

Aug 12, 2006
I suggested 'borrowing' a cheap PSU because of the possibility that the PSU is in fact not broken and your problem lies elseware.

If you are going to purchase a new PSU I encourage you to not go cheap. Seriously, a good power supply really is worth it. A lot of strange computer problems can be caused by shitty power supplies.

TS
TS
phoenix1105

phoenix1105

OT Supporter
Feb 22, 2005
I totaly agree about not going cheap. If that is whats wrong, I will probably get a name brand( oz, coolmaster, etc...) 1000 or 1200 watt unit.

Stilgar1973

Aug 12, 2006
I totaly agree about not going cheap. If that is whats wrong, I will probably get a name brand( oz, coolmaster, etc...) 1000 or 1200 watt unit.
That isn't exactly what I meant.
I apologize for being unclear.

Get what you need. 500W is probably all you REALLY need. Less if you are not a gamer.
Look for something brand name. Look at the reviews.

Antec, Corsair, Rosewill and ThermalTake are all good names.

If your video is onboard the mobo then you can get one as low as 300 watts. If your video is on a seperate video card then I would go for 500 watts.

If you have a shit ton of hard drives (like 4) inside the computer case I would go for the 500 watt as well.

I seriously doubt your need for 1000 watt PSU.

Those things are for people running 2 or 3 top of the line video cards inside the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448