FIT What to do about uneven muscle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveee

Jan 15, 2007
Standard left arm is weaker than the right one. Legs are even, etc., but my arms are about 5lbs apart. I was always told that you should just continue training and it will even itself out, but I'd like a second opinion. Should I be thinking about adding another set in on my left arm until it evens out or just keep putting the iron in the air until it works out?

Stilgar

Dec 31, 2004
I've got the same problem with my quads - left quad is so much stronger / larger than right quad. But I find it hard to do exercises that isolate only 1 leg, so I simply just keep going and hope that it evens out. What I wondered at first was how it happened - then I realised I always jump off of my left.

TS
TS
Daveee

Daveee

Jan 15, 2007
See my quads seem to be damned near even, and it's not even my entire arm that is uneven. My tri's are on point, it's really when I go to do isolated bicep exercises that I notice a difference.

Stilgar

Dec 31, 2004
Why not just do more sets on your weaker arm then? Seems isolating it will help bring it up to the size of your right arm, but if you are not yet at your ideal size, or goal, then I wouldn't bother with it just yet. I'd reach the point where I was happy first, and then see about addressing symmetry.

However, I'm not sure if you plan on ever doing shows or the like, where symmetry counts - but in normal everyday life, it is not something that would hugely worry me.

TS
TS
Daveee

Daveee

Jan 15, 2007
Why not just do more sets on your weaker arm then? Seems isolating it will help bring it up to the size of your right arm, but if you are not yet at your ideal size, or goal, then I wouldn't bother with it just yet. I'd reach the point where I was happy first, and then see about addressing symmetry.

However, I'm not sure if you plan on ever doing shows or the like, where symmetry counts - but in normal everyday life, it is not something that would hugely worry me.

Well my first instinct is to do more sets, but like I said, I've been told by some pretty knowledgeable people not to isolate and to simply keep working on compound exercises that require both arms at once (i.e. preacher curls with barbells, barbell curls, etc.) and it will even out on its own. I just wanted to see what the general consensus here was on the issue

Ferrari430

Mar 18, 2007
Canada
Lol my chest is uneven and it's pretty annoying. My left pec is noticeably bigger than my right one, but strength wise they are about the same. I'm only using dumbbells for now though, maybe switching to barbell will even it out..

timberwolf

Jan 30, 2004
Toronto
Include uni lateral exercises. How long have you been training for?
Personally with my arms, it only evened out or closed the gap when I made an effort to correct it with a few more sets for the smaller side.

4cd-Air

This user is longer available
Oct 4, 2001
I've got the same problem with my quads - left quad is so much stronger / larger than right quad. But I find it hard to do exercises that isolate only 1 leg, so I simply just keep going and hope that it evens out. What I wondered at first was how it happened - then I realised I always jump off of my left.

single leg quad extention
single leg hamstring curl
pisol squats (single leg squats)
single leg SLDL's
single leg glute bridges

If it is only a small discrepency and you aren't training for a competition (strength or BB) then it may never really be a factor... you could throw in an additional set for the weak side if you wanted, extra volume will burn more calories at least. Helps with the neurological connection to work unilaterally too...

TS
TS
Daveee

Daveee

Jan 15, 2007
Personally with my arms, it only evened out or closed the gap when I made an effort to correct it with a few more sets for the smaller side.

I've been "lifting weights" without any real direction on and off for years now, but I haven't actually started really training and getting proper rest/nutrition until about 2 months ago. Am I expecting too much in too short a time?

ToastyMcFckface

Asymmetry is usually the result of one muscle being longer than the other. This is genetic and cannot be corrected.

evh

Banned
Jun 3, 2004

what are unilateral exercises?

Pen Is Mightier

My pecs are different size. What would I do in this case? One armed DB press.....:hsugh:

4cd-Air

This user is longer available
Oct 4, 2001
Asymmetry is usually the result of one muscle being longer than the other. This is genetic and cannot be corrected.

saying that it can not be corrected, with no room for other options, is not true. With proper physical therapy and training, many muscular imbalances can be overcome. Extreme cases may be the exemption, but somebody with a 14" left bicep and a 15" right bicep may just be right handed.

Uglybob69

I miss beer.
Sep 17, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
well, offer a counterargument, if you can

All things being equal you're probably right.

However, during bilateral movement one side often is used more and you end up with strength imbalances that lead to size imbalances. Obviously "perfect" form will stop this but for the rest of us that can't get it just peachyperfect you'll have to do some unilateral work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan