What to do to make my 135k mi. GSR like brand new again?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by violator, May 27, 2006.

1. violator

violator New Member

I've been thinking about it, and instead of getting an S2000 with like 60k+ miles, i'd rather just make my GSR as new as possible again, I don't really care about speed (i actually like the illusion of speed more :ugh: ). engine / performance wise all i want it to be is like new again... it really has lost that effect that vtec had when my car had less miles on it (aka pseudo-mini-turbo). the ride has also deteriorated since i put on the lowering springs and didn't change the stocks (it felt really good for a year or two)

so here's what i thought up of so far

- complete engine rebuild
    - new bushings
    - tein coilovers (i've been running on eibach sportlines with stock shocks)
    - BIG MAYBE - new tranny

is there anything else you guys suggest? how much does it typically cost for a b-series rebuild (parts and labor)?

2. illeagle94

illeagle94 New Member

I'd go with a K20A2 or K20A. That will get you back your performance and then some. Tein is good, I also know someone who has the Megan Racing coilovers on his EVO and he loves them.

3. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

Try some Seafoam or MCCC before you consider a rebuild.

Plus, those Sportlines are the reason your ride has gone down hill, your shocks are more than likely shot. Spotlines are waay too much of a drop, especially for the stock struts. But they do seem to please the Honda crowd quite a bit.

4. wannaseemysocks

wannaseemysocks I Have Big Socks...

will the K series motor drop into his car. i thought there had to be a lot of changes to make it work.

5. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

TEIN BASIC coilovers

OR
    KYB AGX/Koni Adjustables and eibach pro kit.
    slammed is not cool to me.

yeah...and get your engine cleaned up.

:) GSR's are fun cars.

6. violator

violator New Member

yeah i have no doubt they're shot... i'm just saying i like how the ride felt with the sportlines before they shock did get shot

7. violator

violator New Member

do tein basic have the least amount of drop compared to other teins?

i just want it to be low enough to get rid of the fender gap

8. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

Just get the Eibach Pro Kit, its a little more than a 1" drop.

9. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

teins have exactly as much drop as you want. coilovers are cool in that you dont lose travel when you lower, at least not on a good set of real coilovers.

10. k0in b4hd

k0in b4hd New Member

im about in the same boat; i have a 94 gsr with ~130k on it. i really really like the integra and how versatile it is. its the kind of car you can mob over a thousand miles a day in no problem. i really dont like the lack of torque for every day driving, sometimes u just need that instant power. ive ridden in both supercharger and turbo and i would say that turbo is just more fun. turbo the bitch. get some shocks. get a clutch.

11. Derek173

Derek173 Analyst and Therapist

12. seismic

seismic New Member

I don't recommend Seafoam or any cleaner for our engines. I used Seafoam on my 150k mile LS, and it started consuming oil like crazy.

13. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

14. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

probably because all that gunk was sealing up the gaskets that were busted.

15. takumi6

takumi6 New Member

gsr are sexy cars.. with vicious vtec kick... i suggests you get coilovers like K-sports or Tein SS-P and if your thinking about engine overhaul... throw some jdm ITR pistons and Cams... nice header with RSR (looks stealthy/nice quiet tone) exhaust system... HID's are sexy on the DC2 chassis as well..other wise cosmetic wise leave the chassis alone as the car is beautiful and rare now days...but witht he coilovers the car will be "brand new" in a good way... slamm it.. oh and get camber kit (with alignment)

16. Derek173

Derek173 Analyst and Therapist

17. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

I was quoting Gob...

18. violator

violator New Member

do you know what other companies make twin-pass exhausts besides mugen? is the RSR?

the only thing body / appearance wise i'm thinking about is repainting it the same color (milano red) or black and getting the 98+ rims

already got a skunk2 camber kit :bigthumb:

19. beckington

beckington New Member

i'm sure hes looking at spending 15k

:ugh:

20. Wilddog

Wilddog OT Supporter

:rofl:

21. illeagle94

illeagle94 New Member

I dunno, maybe motor mounts and ECU/wiring harness. Hasport must have something by now.

22. ghettoraid

ghettoraid evil chairman kaga

if you have the budget for an s2k... new tranny should not only NOT be a "big maybe" it should be at the top of your list... small maybe = gear swap... zomg.

You say "like brand new again." This means you should freshen up interior as well... interior carpet is cheaper than you'd think... expensive part is replacing it... If you're handy with tools its a diy job... get some new seats or have yours recovered.. idk... go all out! Body/paint... again if you have the budget make the body 100% straight and respray... Another often overlooked part = headlights... Buff them smooth again or find a newer set on some honduhh board.

respect++ for "RESTORING" such a sort-of new car. (if you do it right and use all of this budget I think you have on the small stuff)

23. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

An engine swap on a GS-R is a little too heavy in the diminishing returns department, I think. Just rebuilding the stock motor removes any need to worry about custom work or messing with the AC and cruise. Whether you want to upgrade and how far is just a question of money; but of course, if you are ever going to want better internals, the time to do it is when the engine is already apart. As for the trans, upgrading to a Type-R unit or adding a limited-slip to your rebuild would be well worth it.

Besides that, you definitely want to replace everything rubber in the chassis, since that stuff will be shot by now. All suspension bushings, motor/trans mounts, shifter bushings, weatherstripping. A full coilover kit for your use is overkill and more money than you need to spend; I like the H&R Sport springs (for the linear spring rate up front and OEM-ish balance) and KYB AGX or Koni Sport shocks for a street setup. But you could just replace the shocks with one of the above and keep your current springs if you like them. Either way, they'll ride better with upgraded springs than your factory shocks did and won't blow out from the stress. Remember to get new shock boots and mounts at the same time.

Then go over the car with a fine-toothed comb, making sure all the major wear items are in shape and replacing any that aren't. That would include CV joints and boots, ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, brakes, brake/clutch master cylinder, etc.

Cosmetics is the easy part. New carpet and seats will be 90% of the interior work, and the exterior needs are obvious enough.

24. MrJasey

MrJasey OT Supporter

id go with most of what huntz0r said. with 130k ish miles you probably have things that is heavily worn and other things that are wearing but dont HAVE to be replaced yet. you sai dyou want it to be like new, so if i were you i would do as much my budget allowed. otherwise, i would do what is worn and sell it since making it "like new" is not really worth it in the long run (resale-wise 130k mi motor with a rebuild still wont net that much more asking price)

it also depends on if you are doing all the work yourself of paying for labor.

25. psyphre

psyphre User #58, OG ftw. XBL/IG - davzilla77

just buy a JDM ITR front clip, and some the teins or KYB's+H&R Sports.

sexy and fast.

[​IMG]