@whatever crew

Thumpin'Ram

I'll level with you. These bags weren't designed f
Jul 15, 2001
Goodbye mailbox
I have a bilco cellar door that I wish to get rid of, so I had a contractor frame out a vestibule with an actual exterior door. I stressed the importance of waterproofing because the plan was to eventually put in a drywell/sump pump and remove the bilco.

e4fPkS7.jpg

This is with the bilco door still in place and closed! It offers no water resistance. I suspect they didn't use any sill gasket material.
Is it reasonable to ask them to rip it out and do it again? I'm thinking this is amateur hour and there's no way it's done to code, as this was just a few drips of snow melt (no hydrostatic pressure at all). If they refuse to redo it with a gasket, should I just fire them?

@whatever

edit:
5ec2ae4eb922196ff5767da7e11c4745.jpg

here's a bilco door (not mine) for those who don't know

Last edited:

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
I have a bilco cellar door that I wish to get rid of, so I had a contractor frame out a vestibule with an actual exterior door. I stressed the importance of waterproofing because the plan was to eventually put in a drywell/sump pump and remove the bilco.

e4fPkS7.jpg

This is with the bilco door still in place and closed! It offers no water resistance. I suspect they didn't use any sill gasket material.
Is it reasonable to ask them to rip it out and do it again? I'm thinking this is amateur hour and there's no way it's done to code, as this was just a few drips of snow melt (no hydrostatic pressure at all). If they refuse to redo it with a gasket, should I just fire them?

@whatever

what's on the other side of the door?
what was there before?

you need to drain the water somehow, you can't just add some walls and let the water sit on the other side.

how many quotes did you get? were they way off or close?

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
what was there before?

you need to drain the water somehow, you can't just add some walls and let the water sit on the other side.

cellar stairs

the cellar stairs were covered by cellar door

try to follow along

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
what was there before?

what was there before?

1609866118528.gif

TS
TS
Thumpin'Ram

Thumpin'Ram

I'll level with you. These bags weren't designed f
Jul 15, 2001
Goodbye mailbox
what are you going to do about the water on the other side of the door?
I'm confused why everyone is confused..maybe these are regional terms? I want to put in a drainage pit (drywell or sump pump) on the exterior side of the door

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Backā„¢ļø
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
Hey man, I'm no contractor, but I'm pretty sure your door isn't supposed to be leaking.

HTH.

Reactions: Thumpin'Ram

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
uhhhh yea you need to waterproof the basin down there with a outdoor rated waterproofing. or use something like red guard and tile a tub in.

take some photos looking down from the outside.

you need to put the sump pump / drain in prior to all this.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright Ā© 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448