Whats another word for a Wifebeater undershirt?

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
I went in to the office to get my flu shot and was wearing a dress shirt.

The nurse asked if I had anything on underneath so I could remove the dress shirt.

I said "yeah, I have a wife beater on"

She acted like I'd physically beat her. "OMG, you can't say that"

...I mean, I guess the package calls it an A-Shirt, but I've literally never heard anyone call it that ever.

What do you guys call it?

TS
TS
lugoismad

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
We used to say back in high school , but I haven’t heard it in a long time

I mean, its not a huge topic of conversation. Its just an undershirt I wear under a dress shirt. Not something I talk about with my coworkers and what not.

I've just always referred to it as a wifebeater. I understand where the term comes from, but its kind of like "xerox" its just kind of been locked into our speech.

TS
TS
lugoismad

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
Everyone calls it a wife beater. I guess the nurse isn't smart enough to understand that calling it a wife beater isn't an endorsement of beating your wife, but rather a commentary on the kind of trashy people who wear them in public and are often featured on COPS.

My understanding was there was a court case with a picture of a guy wearing one on the front page of a newspaper with the title "wife beater". And the name stuck.

Obviously I don't beat my wife. I love my wife. Its just a name.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan