TECH What's the best ~10" tablet?

Drake Thornn

OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2004
Grenyarnia
What's the best ~10" tablet? It's only going to be used for web browsing and reading. iPad Air much better than reg iPad? Any Android pads worth considering?

herpes

OT Supporter
Jun 4, 2005
dfw
I've had a couple of their smaller ones and honestly they're slow as fuck and I can't recommend them. Unless the 10" version is dramatically better, I'd pass. The UI sucks too.
I have one and took all the amazon shit off it in literally 30 seconds and it's fine

XO

I'll bee your honey
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Not*Cal
It's been a while but at least a few months back the apple air had the newest of the ipad processors :dunno:

I'm still on a mini 2

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo
I'm pretty picky about performance :o I hate anything that will lag or be slightly unresponsive, the the Samsung tablets fast?

I haven't used it a ton, mainly loading apps for my daughter. It seems quick enough for me. She hasn't complained about performance the way she does about her Kindle Fire.

XO

I'll bee your honey
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Not*Cal
I'm pretty picky about performance :o I hate anything that will lag or be slightly unresponsive, the the Samsung tablets fast?

We have a samsung 10 something laying around here too, relatively new. The touch screen feels kinda cheap plasticish and clunky to nagivate compared to the newer ipads, even compared to the mini I have sitting around

The Grand Inquisitor

Mar 14, 2005
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I’ve had like five or six or ten different ones. Total android fanboy originally. Had everything from nexus to Samsung to fire to surface.

there is absolutely no beating whichever iPad suits you. it is by far the best. Love my current pro 10 for both work and play.

Reactions: FDT

Dismay

Super Swell Guy
OT Supporter
May 23, 2000
SoCalish
I bought two iPad Airs for my kids for this school year each with the $100 pen :ugh: Going to return one of them that's unopened to Costco. One is enough for both of them since we were able to get two Chromebooks form the school district. Only use the iPad Air for homework on the Seesaw App where they can write directly to the worksheets. Could also be done with a number of other tablets or chromebooks though.

Worst thing about it is that you can't set up multiple user accounts on a single device...so incredibly dumb....

Performance wise, it's way better than my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo
I bought two iPad Airs for my kids for this school year. Going to return one of them.

Worst thing about it is that you can't set up multiple user accounts on a single device...so incredibly dumb....

Performance wise, it's way better than my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

They expect you to buy one for every person.

thumpr

someone you trust is one of us
OT Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
大阪, 日本
does anybody make any a tablet significantly bigger than 10" that isn't some sort of overpriced novelty?

Dismay

Super Swell Guy
OT Supporter
May 23, 2000
SoCalish
It's the Apple way though. Fuck em. I don't need to play that game. Also, I don't know what Apple's parental controls are like, but Google's Family Link is pretty nice.

ive been in the google ecosystem forever, so having an Apple mixed in is kind of a pain in the ass.

the hardware is really good though :hs:

Should have got in on that Pixel tablet or slate, whatever it was, deal about 6-9 months ago when they were being discontinued.

FartLighter

Resident Fart Expert
OT Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
I got the 12 inch iPad Pro and kind of regret it. It's hard to hold for reading, and the new one with LiDAR came out right after I bought mine. I'll keep it, but might get something smaller. I mainly just whiteboard with it.

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
I've had a couple of their smaller ones and honestly they're slow as fuck and I can't recommend them. Unless the 10" version is dramatically better, I'd pass. The UI sucks too.
At $150 dollars also way better to just get an ipad

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
ive been in the google ecosystem forever, so having an Apple mixed in is kind of a pain in the ass.

the hardware is really good though :hs:

Should have got in on that Pixel tablet or slate, whatever it was, deal about 6-9 months ago when they were being discontinued.
Pixel tablet was hot garbage

gthesob

the fun machine took a shit and died
Feb 19, 2004
SoCal
I like my Surface. I've always had Android Nexus tabs before but choices pretty much dropped to Samsung and cheap chinese crap and I won't touch either. It's been quite freeing not to half to deal with mobile OS limits and using plain old Win 10.

• Love
Reactions: Simius The Monkey

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
I like my Surface. I've always had Android Nexus tabs before but choices pretty much dropped to Samsung and cheap chinese crap and I won't touch either. It's been quite freeing not to half to deal with mobile OS limits and using plain old Win 10.
Except like almost every educational app is on either ios/android only

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448