What's the best lawnmower for an average lawn?

jsilas

OT Supporter
Sep 9, 2006
PNW
If you're not a brand whore, just get a Briggs & Stratton-powered Craftsman for a couple hundred bucks. Mine starts on the first pull after 14 years of use, works perfectly fine.

Reactions: alex

The Grand Inquisitor

Mar 14, 2005
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No complaints about my Ryobi 40v 20", also use their 40v trimmer and leaf blower. Love how quiet it is and not needing to keep gas around, worry about engine maint. You could probably do fine with 2 batteries but 3 would ensure you never get caught waiting on a recharge.

100x this

No idea why anyone without an acre plus would want a gas mower.

Reactions: Jumpem

alex

RIP OT Yard Sale
OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2005
Orange County, NY
If you're not a brand whore, just get a Briggs & Stratton-powered Craftsman for a couple hundred bucks. Mine starts on the first pull after 14 years of use, works perfectly fine.
I have had a B&S powered Craftsman riding mower/tractor for 8 years. No complaints. Last season a family of mice nested under the blower cover and chewed through the ignition coil. Ordered a replacement B&S 1st party armature on Amazon for $37 shipped, came next day, replaced it myself, runs like a champ again.

alex

RIP OT Yard Sale
OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2005
Orange County, NY
I wouldn’t be against going electric though. (Assuming I swap all my tools to the same system.) I loathe doing the maintenance because right now in my life I currently have more free money than free time. Like I can do my own basic maintenance and was able to replace the ignition coil and stuff without hitting it with my purse too many times, but when I spend a Saturday changing oil and fuel filters at the start of the season, it feels like I’m squandering my precious time.

In all honestly, i should consider just using a lawn service but I feel that’s just lazy.

Reactions: cyclaptor

The Grand Inquisitor

Mar 14, 2005
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I wouldn’t be against going electric though. (Assuming I swap all my tools to the same system.) I loathe doing the maintenance because right now in my life I currently have more free money than free time. Like I can do my own basic maintenance and was able to replace the ignition coil and stuff without hitting it with my purse too many times, but when I spend a Saturday changing oil and fuel filters at the start of the season, it feels like I’m squandering my precious time.

In all honestly, i should consider just using a lawn service but I feel that’s just lazy.

go electric, don’t look back

Reactions: Jumpem and alex

cowboyrps13

couchlock loves to lick my booty hole
OT Supporter
Aug 4, 2002
NC
I have a greenworks 12a 20" plug in mower for around my pool. It's fantastic

Husqvarna 42" riding mower for the rest of the yard. It just replaced a $50 craftsman rider that the deck needed to be rebuilt and the engine was failing.

I've never had a new rider. So far its amazing

.chris

Leave her, Johnny, leave her
OT Supporter
Mar 2, 2006
SoFla
oFJXTugl.jpg

Reactions: Sirius

Bugalu

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2003
Nashville

Lmao if you spend a Saturday taking out one bolt and putting it back I feel bad for you son.

Todays mowers are nothing like what we had growing up.

alex

RIP OT Yard Sale
OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2005
Orange County, NY
Lmao if you spend a Saturday taking out one bolt and putting it back I feel bad for you son.

Todays mowers are nothing like what we had growing up.
i do all my gas powered equipment's annual maintenance (mower, snow blower, string trimmer, etc) on the same saturday and yeah, it's generally at least a full afternoon.

it's not hard (i do it myself), but it's still time consuming

• Haha
Reactions: Bugalu

Contemptor

OT Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
NC
Had mine for about 8 years now. Have had to do some work on it over the past year which has been annoying, but it hasn't been bad. But when it broke mid-use last time I used my neighbors pushmower to finish, which was an RWD, and it was so much faster and bagged so much better. I normally have to empty my bag at like 1/3 or 2/3 depending on grass thickness, and his just sucked the grass up until it was full. But I'm probably going to hold off on upgrading till it dies at this point I guess.

I've moved most of my yardwork equip to electric except my Chainsaw (which I rarely use, and just waiting till it dies), lawn mower, and blower. I'm on Dewalt 60v batteries for my electric, my second iteration after B&D. Works great. I'm hesitant for the mower and blower. I haven't looked into EGO. How long do you all think your battery will last before you need to replace it? I'm guessing it will be a couple hundred to replace as well?

monolith

Hey, Herbie! How's life? Taking forever.
OT Supporter
May 9, 2004
Virginia
Just bought an Ego mower + string trimmer tonight, first mow is this weekend.

Reactions: zizi

ERock

I'm not a cat
OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2002
SoCal
I have a 12+yr old 6.75hp Craftsman. It won't die. Just runs and runs.

lescivic

OT Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Space Coast FL
Batteries on my old 40v Greenworks finally started to go. Bought the Costco 80v self-propelled Greenworks and had first mow over the weekend. Had a section of grass that was two weeks old where the old batteries died on me. New mower cut through no problem. Would of had to weed wack it down and then mow with the old one. Get an 8 year warranty on the batteries if bought through Costco. If you set it to rabbit almost have to jog to keep up with it.

SkiMax

Dec 11, 2004
Chicago
I have had a husqvarna with Honda motor for about 10 years now. I have never performed any maintenance and put her away wet in the winters and that thing still starts right up every year.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wet0529