What's the best lawnmower for an average lawn?

D_Nice

Super-Moderator
Super Moderator
Feb 2, 2001
houston
My dad just got the 700 dollar ego mower. I still prefer my honda hrx, which seems to have better suction and mulching, but electric is pretty damn cool. It's super lightweight, insanely quiet, and the mechanism for raising and lowering the deck is a single lever, which works fantastically.

Reactions: Cicada and Twinsen

DaninTexas

Aug 20, 2004
Dallas, Tx
When I had a smaller yard I used a Husqvarna awd push mower. Was bullet proof. Now I have acreage I use a Cub Cadet LT1 46 in cut that gets the 2 acres of grass done in like an hour and a half. It is a work horse for everything else I need it for too.

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
EGO mower all day. No gas or oil, quiet, and powerful as F. I have the dual battery version.

Mine actually cruises through thick/wet/tall grass better than my Toro TimeMaster. Love it. I have 1.5 acres, and can get through the entire lawn on the two batteries unless I let it go and am dealing with cutting through a forest.

Weapon X

Sep 5, 2001
I've got an Ego mower, chainsaw, edger, trimmer and leaf blower. It all works great.

Jazz

Powerhouse of the Scrum
Mar 14, 2000
Whistler, BC
Electric for sure - easier, quieter, virtually zero maintenance.

Ego is typically the go to, but the green works 80v stuff is decent and usually a good buy at Costco.

Reactions: Twinsen and Cicada

Cashishift

Dec 12, 2000
Omaha, NE
I like buying things once, Toro Commercial 21, Kawasaki engine.. 3 speed trans.. built like a brick shit house.

Has an oil filter and a 1 gallon fuel tank - which you might think - why would you want that much? Its nice AF after using timemasters that do not have a big enough gas tank for their motor.

Stihl for everything else... FS90R trimmer, BG86 Blower, SG20 Backpack Sprayer, MS362 C-M chainsaw, 025 Chainsaw.

22297.jpg

Last edited:

Cashishift

Dec 12, 2000
Omaha, NE
Electric mowers are ok - I don't plan to switch to electric handhelds until the other stuff is past its prime..

blower and trimmer are 10 and 11 years old, still run great. A couple hours maintenance and it keeps everything running good.

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
I had a John Deer commercial walk behind mower but it really hurt my wrists controlling it.

Last year I picked up a $150 used riding mower, a John Deer 120 I think it is. It was made in 1997. Has a 13hp Kohler engine. Spent about $100 on a new fuel pump, new front tires and a tune up, and its been great.

Manthrax

Jan 1, 2007
Merryland
40v Ryobi mower, blower, weed wacker. Super happy. Batteries take a little longer to charge and a charge doesn't last quite as long as EGO.

A few buddies with EGO stuff and while their mower has a little more power and the batteries charge faster, all of them had the batteries basically shit out after 3 years, haven't noticed much battery degrading after 5 years with my Ryobi 40v.

Capt. Hammer

Purveyor of Bespoke Photoshop ROFLs and LOLs
OT Supporter
Jun 14, 2003
The Lone Star State
Bought EGO mower last year, no complaints. Don’t have to bother with gas, maintenance, etc

I was a die hard EGO fanboy for years and now that all of my batteries have started failing just months out of warranty, I’m never buying their shit again. It’s good quality but fuck dealing with dying batteries. I went from 2x 7.5ah, 4x 5ah, and 6x 2.5ah batteries down to 1x 5ah and 3x 2.5’s in the past three months. Everything is dying almost exactly two months out of the warranty period and support is telling me I’m SOL.

I’m about to be stuck with a lawnmower, backpack blower, weed eater, edger, handheld blower, hedge trimmer, and two chainsaws that I can’t use.

Fuck Ego.

Reactions: Cicada

Manthrax

Jan 1, 2007
Merryland
I was a die hard EGO fanboy for years and now that all of my batteries have started failing just months out of warranty, I’m never buying their shit again. It’s good quality but fuck dealing with dying batteries. I went from 2x 7.5ah, 4x 5ah, and 6x 2.5ah batteries down to 1x 5ah and 3x 2.5’s in the past three months. Everything is dying almost exactly two months out of the warranty period and support is telling me I’m SOL.

I’m about to be stuck with a lawnmower, backpack blower, weed eater, edger, handheld blower, hedge trimmer, and two chainsaws that I can’t use.

Fuck Ego.
Buddy had all that plus snowblower and couldn't believe all of his batteries just fell off a cliff in ability to hold a charge and EGO told him sorry, buy new batteries.

The price to replace them all was basically minus whale buy new equipment that comes with the batteries.

monolith

Hey, Herbie! How's life? Taking forever.
OT Supporter
May 9, 2004
Virginia

Fuck Ego.
This is interesting and concerning. Have like 25 days to return my ego stuff. Need to read up more on this.

FYI ego stuff holds their value. I bet you could recoup quite a bit selling your stuff on CL or Nextdoor.

Leonard Washington

OT Supporter
Aug 15, 2004
40v Ryobi mower, blower, weed wacker. Super happy. Batteries take a little longer to charge and a charge doesn't last quite as long as EGO.

A few buddies with EGO stuff and while their mower has a little more power and the batteries charge faster, all of them had the batteries basically shit out after 3 years, haven't noticed much battery degrading after 5 years with my Ryobi 40v.

My 40v ryobi is about 5 years old now and it’s solid as day 1. Fucking love that thing.

lescivic

OT Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Space Coast FL
Buddy had all that plus snowblower and couldn't believe all of his batteries just fell off a cliff in ability to hold a charge and EGO told him sorry, buy new batteries.

The price to replace them all was basically minus whale buy new equipment that comes with the batteries.
I made it to about 4 years with 40v Greenworks. Was thinking about going back to gas or just hiring someone cause the 40v struggled in thick grass. Saw the Costco 80v on sale with decent reviews and they offered an 8 year warranty on the batteries. It’s been a beast so far. We’ll see if the batteries last or if they honor the warranty.

Capt. Hammer

Purveyor of Bespoke Photoshop ROFLs and LOLs
OT Supporter
Jun 14, 2003
The Lone Star State
This is interesting and concerning. Have like 25 days to return my ego stuff. Need to read up more on this.

FYI ego stuff holds their value. I bet you could recoup quite a bit selling your stuff on CL or Nextdoor.

I went from 3-4 years of "Definitely go EGO, everything else sucks, trust me, I did my research, blah blah blah" to "Fuck EGO and their shitty (what feels like) planned obsolescence and lack of support" between June and now.

Some people will say it's a coincidence, but having ~$2,000 worth of batteries fail all around the same time, just outside of the warranty period definitely feels like something they knew about and planned for. Their quality, fit, and finish feels very high, but long term ownership is something that makes me regret them.

Reactions: Cicada and monolith

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wet0529