STYLE What's The Significance Of "Made In"?

Dio Seijuro

Oct 18, 2006
Most labels of substantial size will have apparels made in many different countries. I would like to know if there's anything you can assume about the quality of a piece of clothing based on it's "made in" place. And why?

Some people seem very serious about it. I have a friend who, even within one single clothing label, would prefer "made in Italy" over anything else, even if said label's "made in China" items are at the same price point.

Just curious.

Deleted member 35467

quality control is probably high on people's lists. also as a reaction towards working conditions and fair wages.

TS
TS

Dio Seijuro

Oct 18, 2006
quality control is probably high on people's lists. also as a reaction towards working conditions and fair wages.
What are some countries perceived to be higher quality and which are lower?

Most often I see USA, Italy, China, India, Vietnam, Peru, Turkey. But there's some other ones too...

Mcgovlau

Лоз Боз
Dec 2, 2007
Boston, MA
I know sometimes different countries make products differently...some crocs from china aren't the same as the ones from mexico.

dibalicious

sexy crew
Dec 11, 2004
B.C canada
I didn't really care much, but now I try to find anything not made in third-world countries, for the sole reason of fair trade/wages. Also like yardsale said, quality control is an issue, I'd rather pay a premium and buy something made in italy, USA, japan, etc knowing they're made well and their employees are paid well.

Phlab

OT Supporter
May 2, 2004
NYC/Columbus
in short, quality of materials, standards of manufacturing, "fairness" for you granola lovers, and prestige.

in long, it's like getting your dick sucked with a condom on. literally.

chizzle

May 23, 2003
NYC
That's why kmw jeans that are made in china are at least 50% cheaper than those not made in china.

Kev07

Sep 22, 2006
Cambridge, MA
i've also been told that things made in china and vietnam are sometimes made in such horrible conditions that the clothing can get you sick if you don't wash it before wearing it (chemicals/dirty people etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan