STYLE what's your winter coat situation this year

Leonard Washington

Aug 15, 2004
That's my point

It’s definitely not good for -30, but if I’m going in those conditions I wear something else. This is to and from my office, where I leave my warm house, get into a warm truck snd arrive at a warm office. That being said I shoveled my driveway in it last week and it was perfect

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
It’s definitely not good for -30, but if I’m going in those conditions I wear something else. This is to and from my office, where I leave my warm house, get into a warm truck snd arrive at a warm office. That being said I shoveled my driveway in it last week and it was perfect
It's so weird, because even in Winnipeg when it gets stupid cold, I'm forever running to or from my truck to the office, or vice versa. When it gets to unsafe temps, you just don't typically spend much time outside at all and I hardly get to use my warmest weather gear. I feel like something that's smaller, more lightweight but suitable for MAX -20 would be ideal for me. The Goose jacket I have is suitable, I think, for down to like -40 but it's overkill for 50% of the winter

Leonard Washington

Aug 15, 2004
It's so weird, because even in Winnipeg when it gets stupid cold, I'm forever running to or from my truck to the office, or vice versa. When it gets to unsafe temps, you just don't typically spend much time outside at all and I hardly get to use my warmest weather gear. I feel like something that's smaller, more lightweight but suitable for MAX -20 would be ideal for me. The Goose jacket I have is suitable, I think, for down to like -40 but it's overkill for 50% of the winter
Here ya go
https://www.patagonia.ca/product/me...nOyGcRu9Vh8g1djZOSdke4hqn_wG1nL8aAnI0EALw_wcB

Leonard Washington

Aug 15, 2004
Are you just trying to END my search before it truly begins!?

285 is pretty reasonable. Smart looking too, not too flashy.

I wanted a Canada goose but I couldn’t find one in my size and I didn’t really want to walk into customer meetings with blue collar rural clientele while wearing a $700 jacket.

So if I can’t wear it to work it doesn’t make sense to buy. Patagonia is a nice jacket without a bougie label

Reactions: ZeroDeeFeX

ZeroDeeFeX

OT Supporter
Oct 9, 2002
Boulder, CO
You should have gotten the down sweater jacket, it’s much better than the nanopuff

Also I ripped mine somehow, Patagonia replaced it in store no questions asked
That's what my wife got me (down sweater hooded jacket). I literally use it by itself or with a gore-tex outer layer all winter even the few days when it's like -15 in Colorado.

Patagonia is a LITTLE bit too upper middle class white-person fancy for me, especially when what they deliver isn't really head and shoulders above comparable brandes. That being said, if what you say about their return/swap policy is true that's pretty appealing. I'm not a fan of paying money for brand only...I don't mind spending money if their product either performs really well or has a killer return/support policy.

Lifetime guarantee on products, measurable success in terms of building a sustainable supply chain, phenomenal internal culture and working environment just make it an easy pick TBH. It's easy to support Patagonia and give them my dollars.

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
I wanted a Canada goose but I couldn’t find one in my size and I didn’t really want to walk into customer meetings with blue collar rural clientele while wearing a $700 jacket.

So if I can’t wear it to work it doesn’t make sense to buy. Patagonia is a nice jacket without a bougie label

Does the Patagonia site list the weather tolerances of these jackets anywhere? I'm wondering how cold this one you've shown me will reasonably get to, or if I need to go the next step up to the Hi Loft Down Jacket

ZeroDeeFeX

OT Supporter
Oct 9, 2002
Boulder, CO
Does the Patagonia site list the weather tolerances of these jackets anywhere? I'm wondering how cold this one you've shown me will reasonably get to, or if I need to go the next step up to the Hi Loft Down Jacket

For Canada? Go with the hi-loft. It's probably the better choice for truly cold climates.

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
For Canada? Go with the hi-loft. It's probably the better choice for truly cold climates.
I have a very warm goose jacket for the really cold days (-30F to -40F) but for the majority of the Winter (5F to -5F) when it's not so bad, I need a better option. It looks like the Down Sweater might not quite make it for those 5 to -5 temps :hmm:

Leonard Washington

Aug 15, 2004

For your climate I’d probably step up to the hi loft

I’m as coastal as we can get in canada, our temps don’t get super cold for more than a day or two here and there. So I can get away with something lighter and not as crazy warm

Leonard Washington

Aug 15, 2004
I have a very warm goose jacket for the really cold days (-30F to -40F) but for the majority of the Winter (5F to -5F) when it's not so bad, I need a better option. It looks like the Down Sweater might not quite make it for those 5 to -5 temps :hmm:
5 to -5 the down sweater will be just fine. I don’t wear anything but a polo under it usually and have been in -13 with no issues. There will be days when I’m going to wear it at -20

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
5 to -5 the down sweater will be just fine. I don’t wear anything but a polo under it usually and have been in -13 with no issues. There will be days when I’m going to wear it at -20
I should say, that was translated to F for the Americans. I typically do that on OT just to avoid the usual comments. Unless you knew that and are saying that it's reasonable to expect to stay warm at -20C on average.

Niccolo-daddy

Dec 16, 2004
Replaced my main winter mountain gear puffy boy with a thicker one for 0-30F. Still have my 3 yo parka that I only use if it's under 0F. Also still have couple of cheap choices for 30-45F. Both Columbia.

Dec 31, 2008
I'm in northern AZ we get some crazy cold temperatures occasionally but most of the time it's just cold in the morning. So usually just pants and a medium weight Carrhart zip hoodie. I have a few jackets for snowboarding that rarely come out. Just add some base layer stuff if it gets crazy and I'm gonna be out in it all day.

GonadWarrior

May 11, 2001
Eddie Bauer with the sleeper GOAT-tier

iu

snagged one on sale last year and I could easily see myself wearing it forever
Ya, EB gets slept on.
I haven't even taken my EB Superior Down Parka out yet this season since I've been using the EB MicroTherm 99% of the time

Reactions: oftenly

pimpofthenation

OT Supporter
Aug 10, 2005
A2
Every day winter coat is just an old army style jacket. Have a dark navy and a black peacoat for more formal occasions. And when it’s cold as fuck, I throw on my Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero climbing parka

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boomchrono

Dooda la dooda la doodaley doo
OT Supporter
Jul 6, 2021
Stuff I think looks nice. Don't even know what it is.

Good job Boom. Nice and short.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448