LOVE When dating, what is the average length of a phone conversation you have?

Average length of a phone call with your SO

• 1-15mins

Votes: 28 58.3%
  • 15-30mins

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • 30mins-1hr

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • 1-2hrs

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 2-4hrs

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

FifthGear

Sep 18, 2003
Middle west
On another forums, we got talking about phone conversations. A few of the guys were having 3-4hr phone calls 3-4 days a week. This got my thinking, what is the average length of time your on the phone with your SO?

poll incoming....bah i suck at OT cant figure out how to make a poll :wtc:

OT Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
FL
Prefer talking on the phone to messaging when I'm with someone. Of course instant messaging has its place, definitely when I want to multitask, but I love to hear their voice. Conversation could be anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours, just depends.

infinite.purple

Oct 26, 2007
Bothell, WA
Prefer talking on the phone to messaging when I'm with someone. Of course instant messaging has its place, definitely when I want to multitask, but I love to hear their voice. Conversation could be anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours, just depends.
i agree voice is nice. but i'm also accustomed to seeing whoever i'm dating in person every day, so any conversation that is more than a few minutes long can be saved for when i'm with them. i think that might be different if i only saw my SO a few times a week.

OT Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
FL
i agree voice is nice. but i'm also accustomed to seeing whoever i'm dating in person every day, so any conversation that is more than a few minutes long can be saved for when i'm with them. i think that might be different if i only saw my SO a few times a week.

For sure. I've been in LDRs where I went long periods of time without seeing them in person. If I were seeing them everyday or even a few times a week, I'm sure I'd spend much less time on the phone.

THoC

Feb 5, 2007
i selected other bc in most cases, with my current SO, its less than a minute. we only call each other when needed and its usually short.

this is my preference since i had speaking on the phone unless i need to.

MissKitty

If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum'
OT Supporter
Jun 21, 2004
Dingoland
I chatted on IRC with my husband when we first met. For HOURS!!!
Had no problems talking on the phone though

Amanda Ann

Jan 31, 2007
FL
Very, very brief. Typically consists of 'I'm on my way home' or 'What's for dinner?' or "Can you stop xyz and do xyz?'. Maybe it's because we live together, but we are not on the phone with each other. Before we lived together we never really talked more than a few minutes. Used to text like crazy throughout the day, but that's about the extent of our phone conversation history.

lauren

Apr 11, 2005
Palo Alto, CA
under 10, easily. i'm not a phone person, and typically if it's any longer, it's just a fight, and then i'm really not a phone person.

CheeseDanish

Aug 24, 2004
Under ten when dating. Occasionally long calls before dating

i thought it was the other way around

call to setup date and have long conversation on the date instead, occasionally have the long night talk a few days after a date that went well :dunno:

bobbarker70

Jan 3, 2005
upstate ny
I got together with someone 4 months before I graduated college. She lived 4 hours away and our phone conversations would sometimes last 2 hours or more. I missed her a lot and I missed her less when we would talk more. Keep in mind were both on the social side and like to talk.

Now I see her everyday and our phone conversations last 5 minutes or less. The conversations are like "I'm here, going here, doing this, doing that, see you soon, k bye."

Last edited:

ForgottenSpiral

Hope and Irony
OT Supporter
Feb 2, 2004
NoVA
Depends. There was a time when I was younger that I'd spend 4 hours on the phone with a gf regularly (long distance or not). At this point in my life, I can't see myself doing that anymore though. I'm certainly not opposed to it and if a situation came up where my partner was away for a while without access to communication for extended periods, I could see us talking for a while to catch up. Seeing as she and I live together though, it doesn't really make sense for us to ever spend 4 hours on the phone. :mamoru:

At any rate, my time is valuable and I can't imagine having the free time to just spend talking on the phone day after day. Unless the person doesn't mind me doing other things while I'm talking to them. :dunno: At this point in my life, I need someone who fits into my life more organically, not someone who takes up all my time and keeps me from the things I'm interested in. 4 hour phone conversations every day just wouldn't work for me on a regular basis now.

PrickleyPete

May 25, 2011
I started seeing someone very recently. We have had a few pretty lengthy phone conversations lasting a few hours each but mostly we send texts.

Diesel66

OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2005
Kc
i thought it was the other way around

call to setup date and have long conversation on the date instead, occasionally have the long night talk a few days after a date that went well :dunno:

If you don't really know the person, met on the internet, etc it helps.

Viper

Livin' la vida scrotum
Sep 22, 2004
In a van down by the river
I've done 4 and 5 hour conversations for days at a time. That kinda sucks after a while, unless you get a hands free device and multitask while doing it.

I'm not an auditory person, though, so I tend to dislike the phone. Id much rather I'M or email for longer convos. And I LOVE to have all day texting convos. (By all day, I mean, a slow back and forth text convo during down times of the day rather than hovering over the phone and texting every 30 seconds.)

AgGoNy

Apr 25, 2005
New Jersey Fool!!!
30-1hr; busy through the day plus it goes by fast, a lot of times it feels likes its been only 15mins

relationship is kinda new, so after some time it will most likely be under 15mins lol

ForevererZero89

Apr 17, 2009
me and my ex would talk for 2-4 hours on days we had to work, on days we both had off 6-8 easy. she was very good at keeping the convo going. i loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan