ART When do you start with F-stop and make everything else work around that?

AmosBanks

Aug 19, 2004
Chicago, IL
I usually start with the ISO when I take most of my photos in Manual. If I know something is moving fast then I start with shutter speed and then ISO and then f-stop. I learned a tip on OTAP to shoot fireworks at F5 and 100, but that's the only time I go into a shot knowing what stop I want.

What are some situations where you start with a certain F-stop and then make adjustments to everything else to fit that stop?

Aero277

Aug 13, 2003
Los Angeles
If I have a shot in my head and I know what kind of DoF I want, I'll make things work around that F-stop. Usually it's if I'm shooting portraits or anything where I either really want to isolate a subject or just the opposite and show the whole picture. I hate bumping my ISO up past 800 (T2i), so I'll usually tinker with my shutter next and then the ISO.

Pikel

May 25, 2003
PNW
I tend to do ISO last, but that all depends on how harsh noise is on your camera and how crucial that is to your shot.

F-stop first when your DOF is important and that's about it.

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
I have a pretty consistent range that I'll use. 99.99% of the time I'll be at f/4 or wider, so yeah- I usually work everything around my aperture all the time.

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Depends on the subject

If it's moving then I'll set shutter speed first, then aperture. If that aperture is too wide open then I'll up the ISO

Or alternatively I decide what aperture to use (ie for a portrait or landscape) then see what shutter speed I need. If it's too slow, I up the ISO.

Though basically what you are doing is recreating S mode and A mode. For casual shooting I'd rather just use S or A and then use exposure compensation.

dmora

If you know what kind of DoF you want you have to work around it.

Not uncommon. /gentry

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor