ART When to use exposure compensation, rather than just changing your settings...

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX
Please edu me on this...

I know what exposure compensation does. What I want to know, is why, or more appropriately WHEN would you use exposure compensation adjustments rather than just changing the settings on your camera when shooting in manual.

I can see why you would want to when you are using apperature or shutter priority...or if you are going for some sort of artistic look and you want to "outsmart" the camera. But I am talking about a simple portrait shot of a stationary object, shot with natural light using manual settings.

I just got done talking to a guy that I will be shooting with tomorrow and he went on and on about the settings he will be using and that I should use the same, blah blah blah and he is going to set his exposure compensation to ___, etc.

My thought is you need to actually see what your lighting conditions are FIRST before you make those decisions, but whatever...

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
I've never used it. Ever. :dunno:

This.

But from what I understand, exposure compensation usefulness comes in when you are using any of the auto or semi auto modes. I don't shoot in auto mode so I never use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
if u use nikon, its a very fast way to change flash exposure compensation. In Manual mode, the exposure comp because FEC. i use its everyday of my life. possibly one of my most valued tools on teh camera, other than the func button being set to "disable flash" use that a lot too.

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
I've never used it. Ever. :dunno:

This.

But from what I understand, exposure compensation usefulness comes in when you are using any of the auto or semi auto modes. I don't shoot in auto mode so I never use it.

:rofl:

You can use the "Quote" button like the rest of us, old man. :squint:

Wobistdu

i use exp comp when shooting in aperture mode

i also use exp comp when shooting in a place where i know the meter will be wrong... like in snow. i'll set it +1.0 anyway and tweak if need be

MSIGuy

om nom nom nom!
May 30, 2005
It's pretty simple, you use +/-EV whenever you're in Av/Tv/P modes and you want to override whatever metering mode you're in.

It also works great when you're using flash...

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Yup

You can also use it in M mode too to basically re-calibrate your metering all the time.

Like if you want every single shot 1 stop over, you can set exp comp to +1. May be useful in the snow for instance where you'll basically always need +1 to keep it white. Then just meter as "normal" for the middle of the meter and everything will be one stop over. Kinda saves you having to remember to overexpose every shot.

It's just a bitch when you forget to undo it :o

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf
:eek3: screenshot of houston control

i've never seen

It's a closely guarded secret control system but here's a sneak peak along with a description of the functions.

1. Spammer metering system
2. Spammer control valve.
3. OT speed adjustment valve (you just think that the internets are slow at times---mods control the speed)
4. LOL control rod
5. Trollface control rod
6. tittywop input metering system
7. Whut? knob. Otherwise known as Fazle's on/off control.
8-12 NWS fine tune adjustment valves.
13. Tanks personal OT content aware bypass system
14. Nuclear first post output system

Termite_2_control_panel_functions.jpg

Perkwunos

Dog Bones
OT Supporter
Aug 24, 2004
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Use what works...

Why would anyone use only one mode? If it is easy, se it

I think I have used it when I want to control exposure... Shooting something I want a high exposure speed, or a low one and I am less concerned abotu a specific Depth Of Field

Wheezer

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2002
Houston
if u use nikon, its a very fast way to change flash exposure compensation. In Manual mode, the exposure comp because FEC. i use its everyday of my life. possibly one of my most valued tools on teh camera, other than the func button being set to "disable flash" use that a lot too.

:eek3: Never thought of that!

Wobistdu

It's a closely guarded secret control system but here's a sneak peak along with a description of the functions.

1. Spammer metering system
2. Spammer control valve.
3. OT speed adjustment valve (you just think that the internets are slow at times---mods control the speed)
4. LOL control rod
5. Trollface control rod
6. tittywop input metering system
7. Whut? knob. Otherwise known as Fazle's on/off control.
8-12 NWS fine tune adjustment valves.
13. Tanks personal OT content aware bypass system
14. Nuclear first post output system

Termite_2_control_panel_functions.jpg

:rofl: fuck

my hats off to a long elaborate joke that nailed it on the head

Gvidon

Oct 22, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Please edu me on this...

I know what exposure compensation does. What I want to know, is why, or more appropriately WHEN would you use exposure compensation adjustments rather than just changing the settings on your camera when shooting in manual.

I can see why you would want to when you are using apperature or shutter priority...or if you are going for some sort of artistic look and you want to "outsmart" the camera. But I am talking about a simple portrait shot of a stationary object, shot with natural light using manual settings.

I just got done talking to a guy that I will be shooting with tomorrow and he went on and on about the settings he will be using and that I should use the same, blah blah blah and he is going to set his exposure compensation to ___, etc.

My thought is you need to actually see what your lighting conditions are FIRST before you make those decisions, but whatever...

Are you second shooting for Barney Stinson?

EWhytsell

Jun 16, 2008
At a wedding I use about every mode except full auto. Exp comp and especially useful in P mode as it lets you nail the exposure since the camera is probably going to be looking at either black or white cloths a lot.
Flash exp comp is also useful, I use it a lot when the camera is in Manual so that I can quickly control how much flash is being used for a given scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor