hootpie

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California

jshively

Sep 18, 2003
Indiana
Still need a little more detail...you want it rough (maybe one side jointed) or ready to use (planed, jointed, etc.)?

Rockler and woodcraft both sell wood online. However really any local lumber yard should carry walnut since it is pretty common.

TS
TS
hootpie

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
Still need a little more detail...you want it rough (maybe one side jointed) or ready to use (planed, jointed, etc.)?

Rockler and woodcraft both sell wood online. However really any local lumber yard should carry walnut since it is pretty common.

I'm screwing them together at a right angle to make a simple shelf, so ideally sanded and ready to go.

HoodRich

Professional Street Nigga
OT Supporter
Feb 2, 2004
The City
I'm screwing them together at a right angle to make a simple shelf, so ideally sanded and ready to go.
what you're looking for is 6/4 finished to be 4/4 s2s

Any lumber yard will have this, online shipping is going to kill you, if you dont have basic tools like a joiner/planer and a table saw you're probably going to need to go to home depot or something

Reactions: hootpie
TS
TS
hootpie

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
what you're looking for is 6/4 finished to be 4/4 s2s

Any lumber yard will have this, online shipping is going to kill you, if you dont have basic tools like a joiner/planer and a table saw you're probably going to need to go to home depot or something

Learn me what 6/5 finished to be 4/4 s2s means in non-wood speak please.

HoodRich

OT Supporter
Feb 2, 2004
The City
X/4 is .25" so 6/4 is a 1.5" board, when you plane it down you take off about .25" to get it flat, so you're left at 4/4 or 1" thick, which is what you want. s2s means that its surfaced (planed, so that its no longer rough lumber) on 2 sides

jshively

Sep 18, 2003
Indiana
Hood has a great explanation but here is also some of the other terms (s2s, s3s, s4s, etc.): https://thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/s2s-and-s4s-what-gives/

Cost goes up as there is more done. For example place I buy is rough as hell (one side done so you can run it through a table saw) and is cheap. However it has to touch the jointer, planer, and table saw to get to where I want it.

HoodRich

OT Supporter
Feb 2, 2004
The City
Most places are going to sell walnut by the board foot, which is why the 6/4, 4/4 stuff is important. If you buy 3 board feet of walnut online without knowing what you're buying you're probably going to end up with a 4 ft 4/4 8" wide piece of wood thats going to be 1/2" thick when its ready to hang. Board feet is based on 4/4 lumber, LengthXWidth, so a 4/4 12" by 3' board is 3 board feet. a 6" 6/4 3' board is 2.25 board feet

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor