GUN Where to find Ghost Ring Sights for a Mossberg Maverick 88? *Pics of updated Mossy*

Ghostrider4450

Aug 25, 2005
Out of my mind, brb never.
I have looked everywhere for some and I couldnt for the life of me. I mean, other than the front brass sight post, there are no provisions on the top side of the receiver for a rear sight to be mounted.

Any suggestions fellas?

The M88 after a 6 shell side saddle, and a Mossberg heatshield
dsc03034el4.jpg

Oh and and here's the pics of the family right now (minus the M92 :sad: )
dsc03036md6.jpg

dsc03038cx1.jpg

(we're about to have a baby G26 on the way for a CCW :))
glo26_01l.jpg

Cannondale

The Texas Rattlesnake
Apr 17, 2007
Austin, TX
I have a Maverick 88 with the longer barrel and interchangeable chokes. Other than a broken extractor claw it's been fine. I bought it used and have run a thousand or so shells through it and that was the only failure.

yar1182

Mar 26, 2008
Ventura California
Shotgun shells are upside down, regardless what hand you reload with. Fastest way to reload strong hand off a side saddle is to cooley twist.

Regarding ghost rings you can go with the XS. I got a set on my 870 and they are OK. Really don't care for ghost rings anymore. The front sight clamps over the barrel. The rear sight you have to drill and tap the receiver.

If I had it to do over again I would go with just a big fat fiber optic front sight. With a weapon light the fiber optic is like a red dot. I think this is the winning combination for low light, no light shooting if you have a weapon light.

The rear sight is nice for slug shots but for moving targets or birdshot/buck shot not as big of a factor. The rear sight is your cheek weld so you have to have a solid one and be inline and centered on the gun. People think shooting a shotgun is easy but it is not. Your technique has to be on.

TS
TS
Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450

Aug 25, 2005
Shotgun shells are upside down, regardless what hand you reload with. Fastest way to reload strong hand off a side saddle is to cooley twist.

Regarding ghost rings you can go with the XS. I got a set on my 870 and they are OK. Really don't care for ghost rings anymore. The front sight clamps over the barrel. The rear sight you have to drill and tap the receiver.

If I had it to do over again I would go with just a big fat fiber optic front sight. With a weapon light the fiber optic is like a red dot. I think this is the winning combination for low light, no light shooting if you have a weapon light.

The rear sight is nice for slug shots but for moving targets or birdshot/buck shot not as big of a factor. The rear sight is your cheek weld so you have to have a solid one and be inline and centered on the gun. People think shooting a shotgun is easy but it is not. Your technique has to be on.

Never heard of the cooley twist, what exactly is that?

Ill have to look into some different sight systems, the fiber optic/weapon light setup sounds like it would work pretty well.

993kgt

building an airplane whee
Nov 7, 2001
Destin, FL
#1 shells are upside down
#2 heat shield is missing a bolt
#3 maverick 88...lolz, that's a nignog mossberg
#4 holy flashlight, seriously? is that necessary?
#5 did you mount your tasco scope so high for it to fit over that headlight?

TS
TS
Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450

Aug 25, 2005
#1 shells are upside down
#2 heat shield is missing a bolt
#3 maverick 88...lolz, that's a nignog mossberg
#4 holy flashlight, seriously? is that necessary?
#5 did you mount your tasco scope so high for it to fit over that headlight?

#1...been covered.
#2 had just installed it, didnt put the other one in.
#3...to a snobby rich gun owner like yourself, it would be. I got it off my brother for 80 bucks. So go finger your sandy vagina.
#4 I want to be able to see and shoot targets out farther than 50 feet. The KT1 head allows just that, plus I have 3 cells instead of just two. Do you have a better weapon light that is smaller, and doesnt cost me a second mortgage on my home?
#5 If you follow any of my threads you would know that I have an A3 upper waiting to be installed, and that this is just a temporary setup. Also, thats an Aimpoint.

Seriously.

Do you wake up in the morning and go:

"man I have to point out every flaw in every thing in existence today because I wipe my ass with $50s and start fires with $100s"

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
#4 I want to be able to see and shoot targets out farther than 50 feet. The KT1 head allows just that, plus I have 3 cells instead of just two. Do you have a better weapon light that is smaller, and doesnt cost me a second
Seriously.
SuperTac $80 600ft throw

yar1182

Mar 26, 2008
Ventura California
Also, where can I get the barrel that supports an 8+1 mag tube?

You don't need a barrel you need a extended shell tube. A 8+1 tube stick out just past a 21" barrel. To me having the tube extend past the barrel is a non issue. The shot never comes close to the tube. With a wide open IC choke your only getting 1" of spread per yard. Thus unless your tube extends 3' past the barrel it's a non issue. You will get powder residue but who cares right.

The extention tube I recommend is from dave's metal works. He might not list it on his site but he makes or can make a tube for any shotgun. I'm fairly sure he has mossberg as they are fairly popular. Get one of his barrel clamps too as they have a major impact on slug shots.

993kgt

building an airplane whee
Nov 7, 2001
Destin, FL
Do you wake up in the morning and go:

"man I have to point out every flaw in every thing in existence today because I wipe my ass with $50s and start fires with $100s"

pretty much! i don't buy shitty weapons, all you need for a weapon light is a TLR-1, $99

TS
TS
Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450

Aug 25, 2005
pretty much! i don't buy shitty weapons, all you need for a weapon light is a TLR-1, $99

:rofl:

I got it for a truck gun. Its the equivelant of a "beater." I want to get either an S12, or a Mossy 590. This one is just fun to shoot and I wont be too worried if it gets banged up. Doesnt seem like a bad deal myself. As for the weapon light, it serves it purpose well and I like it. End o' story.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan