CAR Which 90s convertible would you get?

Havsie

ROTARY BOYS
Jun 21, 2007
SOUTH Jersey
Narrowed down my choice to 2 different R129 SLs - both are 1996, both have about 80k miles, both are very nice (unlike the previous ones I drove).

Choice 1:
$9900
Emerald Green
Tan interior (worn a bit - tear in seat, looks well used)
2 owner - full maintenance
Needs soft top + hydraulics never replaced so prolly a time bomb $$$
Has adaptive dampers - I don't know if that's worth anything or not, it's probably a detriment at this point 25 years later
At a high end Audi/Porsche dealer - but was a privately sold car to them from the owner who got a flyer in the mail about buying his car...
image-3.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-24.jpg

image-26.jpg

Choice 2:
$11,999
Silver
Black interior - much nicer overall, plus much easier with customization for period AMG stuff
Unknown history - need to run CARFAX or something - but no accidents at least
Recently redone soft top - no record on hydraulics, but as per video it goes up and down quickly and smoothly so I presume it was serviced
At a "used car" dealer aka hooptie dealer that bought it at auction
1996-mercedes-benz-sl-class-sl-500-2dr-convertible.jpg

Which do you think is better? I cannot afford a new SL because my crypto investments are losing money faster than the huge inflation fetish balloon from Biden.

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
First going to need a 12,000 word explainer on how those came to be the only two choices

Reactions: 8legs
TS
TS
Havsie

Havsie

ROTARY BOYS
Jun 21, 2007
SOUTH Jersey
was also thinking an Allante, but for a Northstar one you're paying out the asshole for a hunk of shit that's still worse than a SL :hs:

Reactions: Muddy Waters

James May

Jun 14, 2006
480 AZ
Double check, some of those MB's in the mid 90's had biodegradable wiring harnesses that worked well, but too early.

Also, I'd go for a 97+ for OBDII alone, esp when the option is working with MB mechanics.

Are these both SL500 ? or SL 600, 430 ? come with hardtops (silver)?

Source: used to have a 99 SL500 in triple black.

Reactions: spooled2.2
TS
TS
Havsie

Havsie

ROTARY BOYS
Jun 21, 2007
SOUTH Jersey
Double check, some of those MB's in the mid 90's had biodegradable wiring harnesses that worked well, but too early.

Also, I'd go for a 97+ for OBDII alone, esp when the option is working with MB mechanics.

Are these both SL500 ? or SL 600, 430 ? come with hardtops (silver)?

Source: used to have a 99 SL500 in triple black.
96+ didn't have the biodegradable according to what I read - and 1996+ is OBD2 for everything.

Both are SL500s and both have hard tops.

TS
TS
Havsie

Havsie

ROTARY BOYS
Jun 21, 2007
SOUTH Jersey
Also debating on a $19000 private party one with the AMG sport package with only 25k miles - silver with grey interior

Guy has a let’s go Brandon shirt on in his Facebook profile so I’ll ask for the LGB price to see if it’s less than $19k which seems exorbitant

Oman4x4

OT Supporter
Sep 22, 2004
Dubai / Oman / Saudi Arabia
Even though silver is a classic Mercedes colour, that green is more interesting IMO.

I'm not weighing up potential repair costs because either one is probably rolling the dice. I guess how important is it for you that the soft top is perfect on day 1, and have you priced out doing a new top on the green one?

The green one would look great with either a tan or even dark green soft top material so the opportunity to re-do it could make it really nice.

Does the silver one have the factory hard top?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448