CAR Which 90s convertible would you get?

TS
TS
Havsie

Havsie

ROTARY BOYS
Jun 21, 2007
SOUTH Jersey
Even though silver is a classic Mercedes colour, that green is more interesting IMO.

I'm not weighing up potential repair costs because either one is probably rolling the dice. I guess how important is it for you that the soft top is perfect on day 1, and have you priced out doing a new top on the green one?

The green one would look great with either a tan or even dark green soft top material so the opportunity to re-do it could make it really nice.

Does the silver one have the factory hard top?
I haven't done any pricing on a soft top - but probably around $1200-$1500 for a new top plus another $2000+ for the hydraulics which probably needs to get done. It seems pointless to replace the soft top and NOT do the hydraulics as well, which are guaranteed to fail. So I'm paying the same for either one, plus whatever other maintenance. I'd like to redo the driver's seat on the green one and refresh the interior a bit too which will be even more $$$ cause it was definitely driven - not a lot of miles, but still driven/used. It's not ratty from what I saw in person, but it's definitely been loved.

The top is pretty fogged over, has a rip, and I don't think there's any real point in attempting to fix 25 year old vinyl vs using a brand new one.

Silver car has a hard top (off the car for photos). I'd have to put it on (with 2 other people assisting) before driving it home.
unknown.png

Reactions: Dusty Busterson

Dusty Busterson

OT Supporter
Sep 19, 2007
Las Vegas
i'll give like 12 words

i want a convertible from the 1990s that's not a miata, some chopped up coupe, and something i can fit into comfortably
I’ve always loved the R129 SL’s since they were new when I was a kid. One of my realistically affordable dream cars.

I’d find out what maintenance has been done on all of them. The green one is a more unusual color.

TS
TS
Havsie

Havsie

ROTARY BOYS
Jun 21, 2007
SOUTH Jersey
I’ve always loved the R129 SL’s since they were new when I was a kid. One of my realistically affordable dream cars.

I’d find out what maintenance has been done on all of them. The green one is a more unusual color.
Green one has had all of the basic stuff done - regular fluid changes, wear items replaced frequently, etc. It was apparently driven basically daily in the summers, a few thousand miles a year.

No records on the silver one unless I pay for a Carfax for their limited service history thing that they give out which might show what was done.

But regardless, I'd imagine both are decently maintained cause both are still alive and look nice 25+ years later.

Reactions: Dusty Busterson

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>SEA>CLT
Get a PPI on the green one and if it needs a top/hydraulics and seats (And not much else) - buy it.

It's a cooler color, which means not only would you be a connoisseur but when you sell it (provided the cosmetics/interior are good and the top is redone) - you'll get more for it. Use the hard top in the meantime til you feel like/can afford to get the soft top/hydraulics done

The mag shocks are worth dick most likely - I'd look into replacing with high quality conventional shocks

These things WILL go up in value the next few years, like everything else from the 90s

GH0ST

OT Supporter
Jul 5, 2003
GA
Also debating on a $19000 private party one with the AMG sport package with only 25k miles - silver with grey interior

Guy has a let’s go Brandon shirt on in his Facebook profile so I’ll ask for the LGB price to see if it’s less than $19k which seems exorbitant

Trick is to carry around a MAGA hat for when you deal with those types of people. I put mine on and take my mask off every time I go to the local meat market.

Reactions: Havsie
TS
TS
Havsie

Havsie

ROTARY BOYS
Jun 21, 2007
SOUTH Jersey
Cadillac Allante
the one good year of the Allante costs more and is a worse car than any R129 SL...was debating on it but nah
Definitely don't pay for a PPI or anything...
it's easier said than done to do that with dealership cars - i asked with the green one and they said they'd send it over to their mercedes dealer for 2hrs of labor ($300) but not an independent...seems like a scam to me at least for that one tbh

silver one was "privately inspected before being put for sale" and that was the answer i got when asking about that or any other car on their lot - which i expected

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448