CAR Which 90s convertible would you get?

TS
TS
Havsie

Havsie

ROTARY BOYS
Jun 21, 2007
SOUTH Jersey
Neither. The correct answer is always Miata.
i already owned a 97 miata for 4 years...i sold it recently and made an insane amount of money on it

i want a DIFFERENt 90s convertible
Hi Havsie.

Both of those cars are gross. Save the $10k for something more interesting
hello TCS

i am alive, wuhan flu free (for now), and didnt buy any NFTs so i did poorly in crypto investments so i am now back to investing in used cars

TS
TS
Havsie

Havsie

ROTARY BOYS
Jun 21, 2007
SOUTH Jersey
Get a PPI on the green one and if it needs a top/hydraulics and seats (And not much else) - buy it.

It's a cooler color, which means not only would you be a connoisseur but when you sell it (provided the cosmetics/interior are good and the top is redone) - you'll get more for it. Use the hard top in the meantime til you feel like/can afford to get the soft top/hydraulics done

The mag shocks are worth dick most likely - I'd look into replacing with high quality conventional shocks

These things WILL go up in value the next few years, like everything else from the 90s
it doesn't need both seats, just the bolster on the driver's one cause i presume the previous owner was a fat fuck...but i presume it's easier to reskin/repair one seat than do both but what do i know

i don't think it needs anything else to be roadworthy, it drives like a dream...no issues no lights etc, it's had 2 oil changes per year every march and september since 1997 and every other basic thing done so it's been well taken care of, just used :hs:

Dusty Busterson

OT Supporter
Sep 19, 2007
Las Vegas
it doesn't need both seats, just the bolster on the driver's one cause i presume the previous owner was a fat fuck...but i presume it's easier to reskin/repair one seat than do both but what do i know

i don't think it needs anything else to be roadworthy, it drives like a dream...no issues no lights etc, it's had 2 oil changes per year every march and september since 1997 and every other basic thing done so it's been well taken care of, just used :hs:
Get a PPI and I’d pick up this one.

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>SEA>CLT

Upholstery shop can probably do the seat for a reasonable cost

Just get a PPI, you don't want to find out it needs an RMS or something after purchasing.

spoon-ex

Jan 2, 2001
maryland
buy both, swap the interior from the silver car and the soft top and hydraulics, then sell the silver car with now a tan interior and old top from the green one to another boomer

Reactions: skeletor25rs

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
I am going to be the contrarian on this one. I like the silver one better.
You're talking about a 25-30yr old car... I wouldn't worry about having the same color as everyone else on the street. You don't see these cars on the road anymore.

That silver car is hot sex.

Reactions: Dusty Busterson

hondaluva

likes free hugs...
Jul 6, 2001
Early 00’s. Family friend at the time had a brand new 2001. They were a pretty nice modern version of the MR2, not sure why you don’t see them much anymore.

I own an 05' in near mint condition, and I can tell you why.

-Most people did not like that it had less HP than the previous generation, and your armchair critics did not care about the weight savings
-Miata is more liveable when it comes to storage space, and has more aftermarket.
-For a few hundred more, you could get a Mazdaspeed Miata which (at the time in 04') had more potential. See my first point.
-Your average rear-end accident (the most common type in the usa) can total the vehicle.

Now good examples of them are just too expensive for most people, and you have to be a certain type of person to get one. A similar year 350z and some Boxsters are a bargain in comparison and are slightly more car. For almost the same money, a used FR-S/BR-Z is a newer and better daily driver with a similar ethos.

I love it because it's packaging, handling, and it's easy and cheap to maintain. Some like them because they understand that the platform is less than 200 lbs away from a Lotus Elise, and has lots of potential with an engine swap. Can't put V8's in them, but the 2zz (Celica GT-S), the Camry/Rav-4 V6, and even Honda's K-series fit in the bay and transform it into something else, at less weight than the Miata.

TS
TS
Havsie

Havsie

ROTARY BOYS
Jun 21, 2007
SOUTH Jersey
Here is a good option and a great example

i don't want a german mr2/miata competitor, i already owned a miata...first gen boxsters are ugly as shit too

You're talking about a 25-30yr old car... I wouldn't worry about having the same color as everyone else on the street. You don't see these cars on the road anymore.

that's my internal thinking - the green is a much better color, i love green...but the silver one is nicer overall (it's still a 2 owner car). the black interior is definitely a big plus too just because of the wide array of steering wheel swap options and other customizable stuff.

i'd keep the hardtop in my shed/garage thing on its rolly carrier - i had one for my miata that i gave to the new owner for its hard top, if it's the same process it's not a big deal to put it on/off

Dusty Busterson

OT Supporter
Sep 19, 2007
Las Vegas

True, this isn’t the car your retired dentist drives as if he had one brand new it’s possible he’s dead or too old to drive anymore.

wait*what

OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2007
Houston, TX
99 chrysler sebring
:rofl: don't know why but i liked them as a kid

1998_chrysler_sebring_convertible_jxi_fq_oem_2_500.jpg

TS
TS
Havsie

Havsie

ROTARY BOYS
Jun 21, 2007
SOUTH Jersey
i really don't think these cars really exist anymore, they were super low volume 25-30 years ago too

i've seen one in total in the past year i think

TS
TS
Havsie

Havsie

ROTARY BOYS
Jun 21, 2007
SOUTH Jersey
Has anyone used "Lemon Squad" or one of those PPI companies? The hooptie dealer for the silver one suggested I call in a mobile PPI company and mentioned them as a popular one among people, which seems better than the response from the Green one.

$279 for a full "classic" inspection seems like a rip off though - it's what, 1hr of labor?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448