Who else has a love/hate relationship with their parents?

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
Yes my dad and I aren't the closest.

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
we are close.

she just pisses me off every time i talk to her.

Eh more or less same. I care enough about him that I'm concerned about his health, etc., but he doesn't get to keep my kids overnight or anything.

Hood Moses

Halogen boi
Oct 4, 2001
NC
I don’t hate them but the favoritism they (Mostly my mom) show my brother vs me is annoying as hell.

Prime example, I moved in with them for a couple months after college, paid $700/mo in rent. My brother did the same after law school they didn’t charge him any rent.

My grandparents and aunt both saw this from an early age. My wife sees it too. Is what it is.

Mperor

I flow like butterbeer on Diagon streets
OT Supporter
Jun 9, 2003
Seattle
I love my parents because they are my parents.

But they are understandably different people than I am, from a different generation, with different priorities. So I don't enjoy their company nearly as much as, say my wife or my friends. I think that's normal.

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
My mom is overbearing af. I have to be very careful with what I share with her because of it. For example: I tell her I'm getting over a minor cold and she goes, "Why are you sick? Are you not eating properly? Are you dieting? Are you not sleeping enough? Have you been to the doctor? You should go see a doctor and make sure it's not something serious." and on and on and on. Like that, but with everything.

Charlie

omghi2u
OT Supporter
Jan 2, 2005
Atlanta
My Parents are awesome. I feel bad for you guys that have tough relationships with your parents. My mom was great before she passed and my dad is one of my best friends. He's still my main tennis partner.

Reactions: 12xalt

beddachedda

life is uncertain. don't sip.
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
they're a bit kooky and i think the most we've ever had tension was during my wedding planning bc my mom wanted more control

other than that great tho

Maker

OT Supporter
Jan 14, 2002
Try to be at peace with your parents brother. There is something innate in us that desires the love and approval of our parents and when that doesn’t happen it creates and projects unhappiness and discontent.
I assume (and only an assumption) that if you are arguing that care and emotions are still involved. I believe that is better than apathy. She wants you to see her perspective. You want her to see your perspective. At the end of the day you are a reflection on her and it could be the case that there is a misalignment, possibly within yourself that you could be projecting back onto her.

I struggle with this also, and it causes me sadness occasionally, but I’ve tried my best to deal with it and I love my parents dearly.

Tesla Death Ray

Open your mouth, I'm gonna put something nice into
OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2006
Your Best Nightmare
i feel like my parents deserve me disowning them, but i can't really hold a grudge and i know they're just kinda simple

whatever, life's short and i don't want to be angry

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman