CAR Who has the best semi-autonomous driving experience?

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
Looking to buy something in the next few months, probably a slightly used small SUV. Since it's soon to be 2021, wanted to make sure I got something with an ability to manage highway driving on its own. I often do road trips, and want something that can handle the highway cruise control situation - adaptive cruise that can stay in a lane effectively with minimal supervision. From what I've read, this can really reduce fatigue while driving, so I'm intrigued.

Options look like Volvo XC60 with Pilot Assist, or maybe X3/X5 with Driving Assistant Pro, or ??? What other models should I be considering?

No Tesla, not viable for frequent long road trips starting in West TX.

Thx

JaimeZX

Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew
Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
Two years ago I had a rental Subaru Forester with "lane-keeping," but it basically just slowly pinged back-and-forth in its lane on the freeway, bouncing off the stripes. Got super annoying after about 60 seconds.

TS
TS
Menger

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
Finding a friend to share the road trip with > investing into new technology that’s rapidly advancing and outdated year over year
that’s an argument to wait several years to get something autonomous but I just want something to make long distance drives easier and it seems that mostly exists today ...

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
Had a Toyota Rav4 with Lane Keep / Adaptive cruise control. Most of the time it was nice to have... but construction zones it always wanted to run you into something.

I read some article saying Cadillac scored the best... don't know / remember where though :(

Reactions: Menger

hondaluva

likes free hugs...
Jul 6, 2001
Volvo
Two years ago I had a rental Subaru Forester with "lane-keeping," but it basically just slowly pinged back-and-forth in its lane on the freeway, bouncing off the stripes. Got super annoying after about 60 seconds.

Subaru's lane-keep was the only system out there that got me close to shitting my pants...and worked.

55mph to right behind a vehicle at full stop at a traffic light...no problem.

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
Digital Nomad
Cadillac SuperCruise seems to the best
Comma.ai is also solid in my experience for retrofits into specific vehicles. Gotta join their discord and poke around re: your specific model to see how it does

Reactions: I<3URANUS

hondaluva

likes free hugs...
Jul 6, 2001
Otherwise, I'd say Volvo or a properly optioned Cadillac CT6 should do the trick,

I have never heard of comma.ai... gotta read up on that.

Tiberium

Mar 9, 2005
USA
The Mach-e will be getting the Ford equivalent to super cruise.

Unfortunately, nothing on the market can touch Tesla's AI though...

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448