Who here has a solar pool heater?

Jun 26, 2001
FL
The plastic tube-kind. How effective are they and where do you live? How many panels/sq.ft?

Have natural gas, but no line where the pool equipment is. Need a heavier gauge line run for an electric heat pump. Gas line and main are on opposite corner of the house, so it's a long run.

Solar is looking like the most cost effective option, but worried about it getting warm enough.

Would be 6 panels and more sq.ft than the pool.

$ean

Nov 1, 2013
I do. I live in southern california. Summertime the pool is 85+. I'd do it again in a second

canning

Super Moderator
Oct 31, 2001
The plastic tube-kind. How effective are they and where do you live? How many panels/sq.ft?

Have natural gas, but no line where the pool equipment is. Need a heavier gauge line run for an electric heat pump. Gas line and main are on opposite corner of the house, so it's a long run.

Solar is looking like the most cost effective option, but worried about it getting warm enough.

Would be 6 panels and more sq.ft than the pool.
I'm going to be installing 4 4*12' panels in the spring and it'll be more than sufficient for our pool.

I expect that I'll have to turn them off at some points next summer.

sp00n155

You underestimate the insignificance of my penis
Jan 30, 2006
Huntsville, AL
The homie just has one of those essentially pool shaped bubble wrap tarps he drapes over the surface of the water and it heats the pool bigly in spring and summer.

wizurd

Engorged Member
OT Supporter
Mar 7, 2002
Las Vegas
I do. It's great in the summer, doesn't do shit when it's below 85.

Basically you'll never get to the outside temperature. So if it's always 85 in your area your pool will likely only see 75 degrees max.

talontsiawd

OT Supporter
Sep 5, 2003
St.louis
Uncle lived in Sarasota and had one that pumped water to the roof went through black mats or some shit and back into the pool. Seems tinwork well.

saxman

Burninating the peasants
Dec 2, 2001
Melbourne, Fl
I wanna upgrade ours to solar heating too, but sounds like a buttload of money:0
Cost about $6k for the pool I'm having built right now, but that was through the home builder so I'm sure the price was jacked up. Next to no gas/electrical heating costs pay for it really quickly vs heating with gas or electric heaters, even if the heaters are cheaper.

Colleen

Apr 3, 2002
🇨🇦
Cost about $6k for the pool I'm having built right now, but that was through the home builder so I'm sure the price was jacked up. Next to no gas/electrical heating costs pay for it really quickly vs heating with gas or electric heaters, even if the heaters are cheaper.
We're up in Canada so it's probably even more than that up here. Our entire pool is automated right now so we would have to make sure it even works with our panel. Our inspector said the pump and liner probably had at least another 5 years, so I just put it in the back of my mind to just do it then.
Edit: our pool is only open from May till September, so there is really only 3 months or so we really even need the heater

wizurd

Engorged Member
OT Supporter
Mar 7, 2002
Las Vegas
We're up in Canada so it's probably even more than that up here. Our entire pool is automated right now so we would have to make sure it even works with our panel. Our inspector said the pump and liner probably had at least another 5 years, so I just put it in the back of my mind to just do it then.
Edit: our pool is only open from May till September, so there is really only 3 months or so we really even need the heater

Post the model of your controller/panel

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
Digital Nomad
My house had it but I guess the last owner didn't want to fix it after hurricane Irma so they pulled it off. I still have the heater so it wouldn't be too expensive to add but we barely use the pool so idk

.chris

Leave her, Johnny, leave her
OT Supporter
Mar 2, 2006
SoFla
For 8 months out of the year the sun heats my pool. The purest form of solar tbh, cuts out the middle man.

Normie

KungFlu Crew #002
OT Supporter
I have a heat pump, it adds between 200-400 a month to the electric, depending on the weather. But the woman doesn't like the pool to be under 82 degrees :rofl: for parties and weekends we bump it to 86 :o

#firstworldproblems

saxman

Burninating the peasants
Dec 2, 2001
Melbourne, Fl
I have a heat pump, it adds between 200-400 a month to the electric, depending on the weather. But the woman doesn't like the pool to be under 82 degrees :rofl: for parties and weekends we bump it to 86 :o

#firstworldproblems
This is why I went with solar heating. Wife wants the pool kept heated and fuck paying $400/mo for electricity (or more for gas) to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor