Why are main floor Master Bedrooms all the rage in new home builds?

lawnboy

Can I get uhhhh
May 5, 2000
Pittsburgh, PA
Seriously WTF- I don't want our master where everyone hangs out :ugh: But most of the plans you see online for 2 story homes now feature a main floor master br/bath.

Pros and Cons of this setup from those of you that have it? The only pro i can legitimately think of is if you're old, you'd be happy not to climb stairs.

• Sad
Reactions: havenfx

Divine

OT Supporter
Dec 31, 2004
Charlotte
1) People don't want to go up the stairs all the time
2)) People with hip/back/leg issues.
3) People buying homes with the future in mind and fear there may be a time getting up the stairs constantly is a chore.

Reactions: Twinsen

Divine

OT Supporter
Dec 31, 2004
Charlotte
Parents just bought a house with atleast 1500 square feet on the second floor they will never use since their master is on main :rofl:.

Supernoma

servus publicae
OT Supporter
Aug 30, 2002
Dayton, OH
First floor master bedroom crew, checking in. This layout is especially lame when master bedroom windows face the neighbor's dining room, which is all of 20' away :o

We put in frosted glass window coating the first week after moving in.

• Haha
Reactions: Bloke and TrenT

Cashishift

Dec 12, 2000
Omaha, NE
These are typically called "1.5 story" iirc.

We considered them, but none of the floor plans were particularly appealing.

TS
TS
lawnboy

lawnboy

Can I get uhhhh
May 5, 2000
Pittsburgh, PA
These are typically called "1.5 story" iirc.

We considered them, but none of the floor plans were particularly appealing.

No, I am talking full on TWO STORY homes. 3 BR's upstairs, usually with a hallway/loft room overlooking the great room, and the master BR is on the main floor :ugh:

tomato paste

OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2014
Seriously WTF- I don't want our master where everyone hangs out :ugh: But most of the plans you see online for 2 story homes now feature a main floor master br/bath.

Pros and Cons of this setup from those of you that have it? The only pro i can legitimately think of is if you're old, you'd be happy not to climb stairs.
My first home had the master upstairs.

No thank you. Mine is downstairs now. WTF are you talking about people hanging out?

TS
TS
lawnboy

lawnboy

Can I get uhhhh
May 5, 2000
Pittsburgh, PA
My first home had the master upstairs.

No thank you. Mine is downstairs now. WTF are you talking about people hanging out?

I have a large family on my wife's side and several friends in the area that come over- Sometimes my wife or i will stay up with them and the other goes to bed. I also have a kid who will eventually have slumber parties and his friends over. Basically, i want my bedroom to be upstairs to be isolated from these type of scenarios.

tomato paste

OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2014
I have a large family on my wife's side and several friends in the area that come over- Sometimes my wife or i will stay up with them and the other goes to bed. I also have a kid who will eventually have slumber parties and his friends over. Basically, i want my bedroom to be upstairs to be isolated from these type of scenarios.
Then go sleep upstairs when those opportunities present themselves.

But what kind of thin ass walls do you have bruh? I don't hear shit in my bedroom, and there's a sonos sub right on the other side of the main wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor