Why are Tyler Perry movies so successful?

Jinx

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana

• Sad
Reactions: Firewall97
May 8, 2001
Colorado

This is the reason a black actor/pruducer/director/screenwriter is successful?

May 8, 2001
Colorado
Yes, it is the reason A black producer/screenwriter/director is successful and not 20 of them
No, it's the reason why there are so very few of them that make it to those echelons.

I'm not saying you guys are wrong. Just trying to understand the reasoning. The link @Jinx provided show how blacks are not properly recognized for their talents, which I think is 100% true.

Are there any other black screenwriters/directors attempting to put out Tyler Perry style movies?

jrmcm

Cocaine and cocaine accessories
Oct 9, 2001
Plano, TX
I'm not saying you guys are wrong. Just trying to understand the reasoning. The link @Jinx provided show how blacks are not properly recognized for their talents, which I think is 100% true.

Are there any other black screenwriters/directors attempting to put out Tyler Perry style movies?
The point is a lack of supply of movies for the black community means the ones there are do exceedingly well, even if they’re crap.

Jinx

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana

I'm pretty positive there are plenty of BIPOC filmmakers who would love to be able to tell their stories but can't get their foot in the door to get them made. There's a reason why they are only 13% of the blockbuster productions and more than 50% at places like Sundance.

www.indiewire.com/2020/01/sundance-diversity-1202202167/amp/

May 8, 2001
Colorado
The point is a lack of supply of movies for the black community means the ones there are do exceedingly well, even if they’re crap.
I'm pretty positive there are plenty of BIPOC filmmakers who would love to be able to tell their stories but can't get their foot in the door to get them made. There's a reason why they are only 13% of the blockbuster productions and more than 50% at places like Sundance.

www.indiewire.com/2020/01/sundance-diversity-1202202167/amp/

Thanks for the clarification. Happened to come across this link, which puts what you're saying in perspective.

Reactions: Jinx

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor