TECH Why do Americans spend so much on their cell phone service? Over $100 a month on average per American

zizi

OT Supporter
Jan 11, 2005
I pay $120 (taxes included) for 5 lines of unlimited with T-Mobile and it even comes with a $10.99 Netflix credit. I could have gotten another line for no extra cost per month but I'm like why do I need so many lines?

herpes

OT Supporter
Jun 4, 2005
dfw
TMO, 114-116/mo for 4 lines unlimited everything

But I've had this plan for literally 20 years

Zimmy76

I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic
Nov 15, 2001
52 through metro pcs, unlimited talk/text/data, it's not the best but it's good enough.

Bil asked if i wanted to join his family plan on Verizon, we tried that before with Sprint and t-mobile and it wasnt good, they wouldn't get a paypal account and i didn't want to mail checks because my mail service sucks, so that meant cash and I had to deliver it to them every month and the time spent driving to their house and back to mine didn't make sense to save 10 dollars.

Dr. Mike

yes
OT Supporter
Apr 3, 2020
San Diego
Because the major carriers allow you to tack on any number of additional services, charges and monthly financing agreements for things like phone cases, speakers, etc. Your average person going into a store could pay the advertised rate but will probably end up paying double per line once all is said and done.

Reactions: JohnnyBeagle

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
its nuts, i pay $10/month for unlimited talk/text, 6 gig of data, free facebook, whatsapp, instagram, etc, 4G LTE - no contract

and can use my phone in MX, USA, or Canada

Ron

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
its nuts, i pay $10/month for unlimited talk/text, 6 gig of data, free facebook, whatsapp, instagram, etc, 4G LTE - no contract

and can use my phone in MX, USA, or Canada
Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram are always free

jackiechanwtf

May 8, 2001
Colorado
Because the major carriers allow you to tack on any number of additional services, charges and monthly financing agreements for things like phone cases, speakers, etc. Your average person going into a store could pay the advertised rate but will probably end up paying double per line once all is said and done.
Well there is no interest on the "financing." So apart from wanting to own it outright so you could turn around and sell it when the next model is released, why wouldn't you?
I don't think accessories are playing much into this. Per the video posted; American's use too much data and we pay for it... Plus ridiculous taxes, surcharges and all that other bullshit.

Xin

OT Supporter
Jun 26, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
anyone not on Google Fi is retarded imo. $20/month for unlimited text/calls, and $10/gig of data. No contracts, no cancellation fees. Nothing. Most of us are all on wifi so it's free. My phone bill was $32 last month. If you are using hella data, they cap it so after 6 gigs the rest is free, so $80/month is max. They have an unlimited plan for $70/month if you know you're gonna go over 5 gigs a month consistently.

Ron

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
anyone not on Google Fi is retarded imo. $20/month for unlimited text/calls, and $10/gig of data. No contracts, no cancellation fees. Nothing. Most of us are all on wifi so it's free. My phone bill was $32 last month. If you are using hella data, they cap it so after 6 gigs the rest is free, so $80/month is max. They have an unlimited plan for $70/month if you know you're gonna go over 5 gigs a month consistently.
No Jesus phone is a deal breaker tho

Reactions: Fenix and FDT

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
Its because the cost of Infrastructure is much more than most other countries

Ron

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
Its because the cost of Infrastructure is much more than most other countries
I seem to recall it has to do with easements and public right of way and not allowing joint routes which basically stifles competition and makes the barrier to entry insanely high

so basically yes it’s infrastructure but for the dumbest reasons imaginable

source: I know nothing about utilities

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GarRice