WEB Why do domain prices vary?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by >DRIVEN<, Jul 17, 2009.

1. >DRIVEN<

>DRIVEN< Hi

This is a complete noob question, so bare with me please.

I was just searching godaddy for a domain and was just curious why the pricing is different for the .coms, .nets, etc.

Here's an example of what I mean:

jasonblogs.info $0.89* BEST VALUE!
    jasonblogs.net $12.99*/yr
    jasonblogs.org $14.99*/yr
    jasonblogs.me $12.99 SALE! SAVE $7.00!
    jasonblogs.mobi $7.99* SAVE $7.00!
    jasonblogs.us $4.99 SALE! SPECIAL!

So what is the difference between the .info or the .net. and the other ones listed? :dunno:

2. >DRIVEN<

>DRIVEN< Hi

On GoDaddy. Was just curious why one would be priced different than another, other than demand I guess. But the sometimes the .coms are cheaper than the .info, etc.

3. Contract

Contract Guest

Not really sure on this one but I'm going to say it's due to a few factors. First would be demand or the popularity of the domain at the moment; Second would be the exclusive factor, for example .tv domains are typically high-priced. I would also like to figure out the real reason other than just assuming what I believe is the answer. But usually every domain I grab is $7.49 on GoDaddy, but making a switch to another domain company, I found out last night there's another that's about $9 a domain but that's with private registration. Also, the only domains I really see being expensive or really cheap are internationals domains, infos, and .tv, etc.

4. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

.md domains are like $250+/year :o

5. SnugNuts

SnugNuts OT Supporter

why are some places cheaper than others, like .info on fxdomains was .99 and from what i see above .info on godaddy is .89

i dont know what im really asking, but, who owns the domain, before we buy them from godaddy or fxdomains

6. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

http://www.icann.org charges a fee to all registers for a domain, something like $6 for a .com, and it varies between different TLDs, I don't know how they set the pricing.

So if you can get a .com for $8/year that means the Icann accredited register is making $1 and some change on it.

I don't even think I really answered your question, but this is a start? :) haha.

7. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

Different registries are pretty much free to charge what they like, apart from a few registries who are bound to charge only a certain amount (.com/verisign used to be $100 a while back)

E.g. .tv tends to be very expensive, since some company came to an agreement with Tuvalu to market the .tv extension, whereas .uk is only $8 for 2 years.