Why do I need a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Market Garden, Jul 17, 2008.

1. In a few days I'm about to take over at the IT director of my company. I've been trying to convince my company's president to let me get a Mac Pro for a while now. Finally, he's told me to make him a presentation about how a Mac Pro would help me do my job. The problem is that I don't really know what to say. I already know that I can make the Mac part of our windows domain, so stuff like that isn't going to be a problem. I'd end up installing Fusion on it and running a copy of XP so I could use all my network admin tools and run SQL manaager and the like. What have you guys done to convince company superiors to let you get a Mac?

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

tell him you're gay and all gays need macs :dunno:

3. He'd probably fire me.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

what do IT people do? why do you think you need one? give us some help and we can better advise you...

5. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

So all the while you've been asking him you've never prepared yourself for the day he says asks "Why"?

6. Database admin, network admin, manage software on end users' computers, software testing, put together presentations, and more stuff I can't think of off the top of my head. I know I don't NEED a mac, but I despise using vista for everything I do.

7. Blair

Blair Active Member

do you support macs at all?

8. Blair

Blair Active Member

why dont you tell him you need a macbook pro so you can be mobile between your workstation, servers, and the staff you support :)

9. No. I'm the first Mac guy to ever have any say in the tech stuff we buy. I'd ask for a MBP, but I already have one at home, and don't really need to bring another one home.

10. ady

ady New Member

just convince him more cores = better work efficiency and workstation hardware = less downtime

11. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

:rofl: well based on what you've said, you dont need one

12. No shit. I think I even said that once or twice. I WANT one, and I just need a few points that would illustrate where it would be better to have the Mac than my shitty Dell and Vista.

13. JoesTypeS

JoesTypeS New Member

ummm if everything you do for your job requires windows you don't need a mac.

Convince him to change the company over to mac...

14. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Tell him that with a Mac, you can have every platform at your hands. You can run Windows, Mac, and Linux. You can tell him that it will save money on buying and extra license for anti-spyware (unless it's a volume license). Tell him that the Mac Pro will run Windows Vista better than any other Dell they could possibly buy. I'm sure there are other things you could tell him, but it's the best I can do for now. Good luck

15. Thanks. Unfortunately (for me at least) all our software that I'd be able to do away with on the Mac is volume licensed. :hs:

16. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

He'll be guaranteed to get at least 9 years of use from it before needing to upgrade. With the multi-cores and the amount of RAM they can hold plus the lack of needing any anti-virus or spyware software.

17. Herbavor

Herbavor Well-Known Member

DOT

18. mojito

mojito New Member

ask for am imac instead. you have no need for one and wasting money on unneeded shit ftl when you're first starting out

19. I don't want a computer and monitor in one. Also, I'm not really "starting out" I've been with the company for 7 years, and it's small enough that I know the president very well and meet with him almost every day. If I were new to the company I definitely wouldn't be asking for stuff like this.

20. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

does your job require any interaction with UNIX?

21. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo Well-Known Member

Wait, let me get this straight....You're taking over as the IT Director and you're having a problem with this assignment?

If I'm reading that correctly (and I think I am) I have two thoughts:

1. You absolutely don't need a Mac of any sort, you just want one. And, want is NOT a justifiable business reason.
    2. You should have never even been considered for that position if you can't write a basic business case, much less act in the interests of the company you work for rather than your self serving geek lust.

:ugh: x 11ty

22. :rolleyes: x 11ty

1.) Keeping key personnel happy is a business consideration.
    2.) There are other people that could take my current computer rather than buying them a new machine, thus the "big-picture" cost to the company is basically $0.
    3.) You should refrain from making asinine judgements and statements based on your own assumptions and lack of insight.

23. Linux.

24. KuntryFresh

KuntryFresh Midwest

:hsugh: so because you just WANT one they should buy one to keep you happy :ugh:

25. When there's no net negative to a company's bottom line and the upside is keeping personnel who are relied upon happy, then yeah, they should buy me one.

Some of you guys need to get a life. I hardly believe that you show up to work every day, are model employees, give 100% all day, never waste time, and go home smiling.