Why hasn't a tech company disrupted the pharmacy industry - 4 hour wait time for RX

Ava G.

OT Supporter
Apr 9, 2021
1,069
CO
These days at retail pharmacies they're giving vaccines in addition to the pharmacy duties. They have to manually verify other medications, look up your medication history, check with state controlled substance databases, possible drug interactions, deal with insurance bullshit, reams of paperwork.

They can usually check insurance in the space of five seconds, ime. I imagine there are more difficult cases, but it isn't the norm with everyone who picks up their stuff.

As for drug interactions, they staple a big disclaimer to the bag, but I think most of that is cleared with the docs. I could be totally wrong.
 
  • Clown
Reactions: TheStickman

JacksonWhite

Well-Known Member
Apr 11, 2011
14,921
If you are on any recurring medication, you should be getting it mailed to you. Stop clogging up my pharmacy when I need to get antibiotics or something
 
  • Like
Reactions: contactone

dorkultra

OT's resident crohns dude
OT Supporter
Oct 14, 2005
33,433
nilbog, trollhio
it takes so long due to one or many of the following reasons:
usually understaffed
have to call doctors to confirm things
have to deal with insurance stuff
give vaccines
have to mix ingredients for other people's prescriptions
have to read instructions and answer questions
the computer systems suck
you aren't the only customer :dunno:

it's not as simple as grabbing something off the shelf like you're in tijuana

i'm sure there's a political and regulatory reason why a pharmacist hasn't been replaced by technology
 

Mammoth

I should be working.
OT Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
26,081
Michigan
how long does it take to pick up a box on the shelf and put it in a bag?
It's not like picking up a loaf of bread from a shelf and simply handing it to the person in line. Most prescriptions aren't that simple. Most still rely on distributing the correct amount from a large supply into smaller containers for the customer. Each customer's dosage/volume vary from one another. Additionally, for every refill, the pharmacists are getting new prescription orders. And they need to check that there are no possible contraindications with existing prescriptions. Because a patient might be getting a number of prescriptions from different doctors, not every doctor will know what is being prescribed by another. So it's up to the pharmacist to ensure there are not possible complications associated with mixing these meds.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TheStickman

Wolf

Slow Suicide's No Way To Go
OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
119,997
San Jose, CA
a robot could do their job.
Software developers right now

dd0.png
 

SBrooks1

@ComicConScott
OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2002
79,165
Virginia
My ex-wife is a pharmacist/pharmacy manager. Back in 2008 Walgreens gave her a $20,000 sign on bonus. They don’t do that shit anymore.
 

General_Zod

OT Supporter
May 16, 2010
2,073
Orlando
This thread gave me a great laugh. Find an independent pharmacy, guarantee you are out the door faster than any big box store could ever try to do.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ranger-AO

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
28,884
the intarweb
if i've learned anything over the last couple dozen years i've known some pharmacists like 10% of their time is spent counting pills. The other 90% is usually spent sucking random tinder dick. Pharmacists are up there with nurses and teachers on the hoetrain

There used to be smoke show blond at my local cvs. Tell me more about what they do on these tinder dates.
 

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
28,884
the intarweb
These days at retail pharmacies they're giving vaccines in addition to the pharmacy duties. They have to manually verify other medications, look up your medication history, check with state controlled substance databases, possible drug interactions, deal with insurance bullshit, reams of paperwork.

All shit that should be done automatically with a simple app.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

  • Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
348
Guests online
57
Total visitors
405

Forum statistics

Threads
369,798
Messages
16,920,927
Members
86,875
Latest member
ddunn9448