Will not boot with RAID card attached.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gob, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Gob

Gob It's like my heart is getting hard. OT Supporter

I've had this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118015 installed in my server for the last couple of months, it had been working fine. The RAID card is running 3 drives that just hold data. The OS drive is not attached. I shut it down to clean out the case and zip tie some wiring the behind the case. When I went to start it up I get an error message that tells me to insert the boot disk. Pull the RAID card and it boots right up. I know there is probably something simple I'm just not seeing, what should I be checking?

Seems like the BIOS is looking to boot from the RAID drive rather than the stand alone but I'll be damned if I can figure out why all of a sudden it is doing this.

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

have you checked the hard drive boot priority? make sure the raid card isn't set to first.

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Yeah check boot priority; but it wouldn't shock me to hear that the RAID card failed. I've dealt with a TON of those LSI cards (WebBIOS SUCKS!) and they do have a fairly high tendency of failure in my experience.

4. dissonance

dissonance OT Supporter

A dead card shouldn't cause the problems the OP is having. I do agree that the WebBIOS isn't the best, but what can you expect, internal storage isn't exactly LSI's main priority).

5. Gob

Gob It's like my heart is getting hard. OT Supporter

I'll double check it in the BIOS, but I'm pretty sure that was one of the first things I looked for. If I recall correctly, when the RAID card was attached I wasn't able to see the boot drive at all in the BIOS. I'll look again when enough people are gone that I can shut it down for a while.