Windows XP question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hathegkla, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

so I'm about to reformat my hard drive but I lost my Windows XP disk (actually I don't remember ever having one). I still have my windows key and my room mate has a copy of windows xp. so my question is can I use my cd key with his cd's? I actually own the copy of xp I'm using and would rather use this windows key than a pirated one. I just don't want to format and reinstall and have the key not work...:x:

thanx

2. High Voltage

High Voltage Guest

yea you can

3. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

make sure it is the same version as your key is home -> home, and pro->pro etc etc etc

4. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

cool, that’s what I thought. I have xp pro, he's got xp pro so hopefully it should be all good. worst comes to wurst (mmm...weißwurst I) have a pirated copy on hand, I just want to use my windows key kuz I fucking paid for it. thanx for the help.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The legit license code you have will probably not work with the volume license copy of Windows that you have on standby; the formula used to check the authenticity of license codes is different for each licensing scheme, and sometimes is different for each batch of install discs (depending on the product). As lon as your roommate has the same type (volume license, individual license, action pack license) and vintage (original release, SP1, SP2, so on...) of install disc, your key should work fine with his disc.

6. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

hmmm, well I have a compaq so I'm not so sure about that then, he got a retail copy of windows. I guess I'll just give it a try and use the pirated copy if that doesn't work.

7. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Even if it doesn't work it should take the key and not let you activate. You can then 'activate by phone' and after a 2 minute phone call they will give you an activation code.

They ask: You using this on one computer?

Smetimes they ask what's up so you can just tell them you formatted.

Very quick and easy.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you paid for the key... That's your license. The CD is worthless... The key is the important piece. If you had XP Home OEM, and he has a cd for the same, then you can use your key with his cd, and it's legal. However, if you have XP Home OEM and he has XP Home Retail, or XP Pro OEM, etc, then it is not legal.

9. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

well I'm not worried about whats legal, its the same software and I payed for it, I'll see what I can do. maybe I can just activate it by phone.